High School Science Fair Idea

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by carol_lee|2, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Hello! I'm doing a High School science fair and I was either going to do:
    The Effect of Shutter Speed on Sports Photography Photo Quality, or
    The Effect of ISO on Sports Photography Photo Quality.
    For the shutter speed one, I was thinking about testing
    1/1000, 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, and 1/30. I was going to test their Blurriness and I'm still thinking about a number related topic to test.
    For the ISO one, I was thinking 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600. I would test the Color Quality and again, I'm still thinking about a number related topic to test.
    So what I would like to get out of this is some feedback or some ides for a number related thing to test.
    Thanks!
    -Carol

2. Both of your ideas sound good to me Carol. The trick may be finding a way to simulate or capture a sporting event that is consistent enough to yield meaningful results.

3. I was thinking of just getting someone to do the same thing at the same speed so that the pictures would come out similar and easier to compare.

4. Welcome to this forum site,
    Here you can find lots of things,
    Also I have something exciting for you
    ---------------
    Top social Networking website
    Thanks

5. A bicycle race seems like it'd be good for this. Find a Crit race in your area, as the riders will be on a relatively small, closed course, and will be riding past your position several times during the race. It's a great way to show how you can either freeze the action, showing everything in focus, or panning at a slower shutter speed, catching the riders while leaving the background in a blur.
    There are almost always other things going on around, as well. The last crit I attended had a bunch of trials (sort of like stunt, but you just gotta see 'em) riders and BMX trick riders, and I think they'd be fun to photograph, too.
    The race occupied some of the roads around a soccer complex, and folks were playing that, too... which would add variety to your sports photo opportunities. Check the local bicycle shop websites, as they'll usually have a schedule posted.
    Sounds like a fun project. My last science fair project ended up being a flop, as it was in the early '80s, I had to write the code for a statistics program on an old TRS-80 computer... while my only competition showed up with a nifty color model and store-bought software. He won by a large margin.