HELP! FOLDERS SCREWED UP -- ACCESSED ONE WAY BUT NOT ANOTHER

johncrosley

<p>In ten years this is the first time I have had any sort of problem with folders and photos in them being screwed up.</p>

<p>I went out shooting today for five hours, returned and found</p>

<p>1. My gallery view appears to show all the folders in their proper places and when one clicks on the individual folders, the photos appear (so far as I can tell on a quick look at latest photos) to be in proper order. Neither I nor anyone else has changed order of photos in my folders in a very long time, and no one else has access to my computer which is locked in a flat. There is no other sign it has been hacked, but 'hacking' is a possibility, but not through my machine - only outside in the ether. However the nature of the problem suggests it is a site problem -- specifically a coding or other site malfunction of major proportions at least as it affects me.</p>

<p>2. If one then clicks on my individual folders accessed any other way to view the contents, the photos are all mixed up. For instance the first two photos in 'NEW' folder are properly the latest two posts. The next photo is a photo posted a month or so ago, not one that is meant to be there, posted just a week (or a little more) ago. Instead of photos being in chronological order, they are mixed up. This is unacceptable of course, and not the way you wish your otherwise exceedingly well run site to function. I will endeavor to cooperate to help you fix this issue.</p>

<p>Worse, the entire order of the remaining photos when accessed this way[ (only) appears to be screwed up, but it is apparently (on short inspection) NOT screwed up when accessed the other way -- by going to the gallery view with all photos, then clicking on one folder or another and viewing each gallery' enclosed or subsidiary photos including apparently the extension where the folder limit is reached and the viewer has the option of choosing to view 'More', and of those 'more' they appear (on short inspection when accessed this way) cursorily to be 'in proper order. Of course I don't have a master list.</p>

<p>That indicates to me my computer itself has not been accessed at all, nor likely has my account, but more likely some problem has developed within the Photo.net coding system, and maybe I'm the first to write you about it or maybe the only one to experiencer it. Is it singular to my folder/account; has a cosmic ray suddenly caused havoc?</p>

<p>The order or my posted photos is very important to me, and there are over 2,000 of them. I assume what has happened in two folders when viewed one way only, (New and Black and White, Then to Now) or similar name) has happened in other, presently unexamined, folders. It would be impossible for me to reassemble the photos in posted order even if I had a template, let alone the patience.</p>

<p>I think the first thing Administration might want to do is invstigate to see if they can see then replicate the problem/issue at their end. I've tried and replicated the problem using two different browsers -- Google's browser and Internet Explorer, both latest editions, and that seems enough to prove the point it is not a browser caused issue.</p>

<p>Nor is it caused by a need to 'restart' as I did that first thing and the problem remained exactly the same.</p>

<p>Interestingly at the top of each screwed up folded when it is accessed in a way that reveals screwed up postings (out of order suddenly, in the last eight hours), there now are page numbers in blue at the top of the folder, indicating someone's apparently been doing some programming work, of what kind and by whom I cannot know.)</p>

<p>I need sleep, as I've been up for two days, so I will have difficulty responding for the next 12-14 hours, but I ask you to access my file through the entire gallery, view the posting order, say, of the 'NEW' folder, see that it's in strict chronological order (or almost with maybe one exception) then try to access the folder another way and see how the photo order is screwed up from the chronological posting I've been doing for months. </p>

<p>That should give you a clue as to the problem and its magnitude. There now are 292 photos in that folder, so my rearranging them is out of the question, and of course it's also out of the question to rearrange them if they are partly already arranged correctly (apparently) in one view and arranged wrongly on another.</p>

<p>Please contact me through my message AND my e-mail (both) as I often don't go to the site e-mail regularly, and this is for me an emergency matter.</p>

<p>Thank you for your consideration.</p>

<p>No one else has access to my quarters or a key.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)<br>

[Thank you in advance for your anticipated prompt and thorough help; I try not to 'make waves' here and instead just contribute to the site's best functioning, and this kind of request is totally alien to me. jc]</p>

<p>I noticed several hours ago that a folder with about 170 photos has been split into two pages, with the photos that were originally at the beginning of the folder now placed onto the second page.</p>

<p>JDM von Weinberg,</p>

<p>After sleep, I find it had nothing to do with sleep; the same problem continued to exist upon awakening after a very sound sleep.</p>

<p>Your 'link' correctly identifies my 'other' post, and the two should be in the same forum.</p>

<p>I have identified a problem I had not noticed before.</p>

<p>Say, with the "NEW' folder, it has the same two last posted photos to start it no matter what view or approach one uses to get to the folder.</p>

<p>However, now the folder has been split into at least THREE different 'pages'.</p>

<p>If one approaches the folder from 'slideshow' view, one gets the photos in their original, serial order.</p>

<p>If one approaches from other means such as 'my Workspace' for instance, the third photo is entirely out of order as are the remainder.</p>

<p>The proper order seems to pick up at the start of page three, where the next photo and following photos is appears continue the PROPER order with 'The Refugees' etc., and then somewhere in that order, it should switch to 'The Nun' on page one.</p>

<p>It seems clear that someone at Photo.net has split what was a one-page folder (apparently in order to save server usage) into several pages -- in my case at least three pages.</p>

<p>But when they did so, they did not preserve properly the order in which the photos were arranged apparently through some oversight/careless/negligent act.</p>

<p>And so, I am left with my 2,000 photos in a mish-mosh/at least a substantial portion of them out of order and their original order unrecorded.d</p>

<p>There is a meager reference --- the slideshow order --at least for the 'New' portfolio (in my limited look so far) -- appears to be in the original, desired order, while the folder itself (NEW) is completely out of order (out of whack) after the first two photos which are properly there.</p>

<p>Many of my other folders are also of the same size, and the circumstances suggest that while I have not examined them each with specificity that the same thing has happened to them. I will explore further in prompt time.</p>

<p>This appears clearly to me now to be a programming error on the part of Photo.net, and I respectfully request that so many of my 2,000 plus photos that were re-arranged during the changeover from one page per folder to many pages per folder be restored to their original posting positions.<br>

<br />It has taken me tens and hundreds of hours to place those photos in their proper order, and there also are links that may now be broken -- I cannot even begin now to explore which links may or may not be broken until this problem is explained from the PN programming side so I can understand the depths of the problem that has suddenly appeared.</p>

<p>I suggest that other members whose folders have been split into multiple parts will have the same problem.</p>

<p>It is possible that this stems from a problem in the original transfer program in which one transfers photos from one folder to another. One can transfer all the photos from Folder X to Folder Y, but the software mixes the order up -- preserving some semblance of order at first appearance , but on closer examination, the photo order is vastly changed -- I know this from experience, having in the past experimented with the 'photo move' feature -- moving all the photos from one folder to another and finding the order of presentation was not preserved.</p>

<p>I think this is a proper place (if I am correct in my surmise) to request that Photo.net back up its changes, or otherwise create a workaround to prevent my having to do hundreds of hours of work to undo an overnight change that I was not informed of and did not request . . . .so that all my links are preserved, and that my photos are reverted to their proper folder postihng order and in the future, (again if my surmises are correct) please let site members know in advance of any such changes and gear up for potential adverse feedback.<br>

<br />If I knew of this change and potential adverse feedback, at least I might have taken digital photos of my posted pages so I would have a record of the photo order, which I do not know, and reconstructing it from slideshow order (which apparently has so far been preserved) will take tens and tens of hours or more (or be an impossibility IF slideshow no longer keeps the photos in order).</p>

<p>Cara and programming staff, I would appreciate a prompt response about this problem, and I am sure members also would as it appears I am not the only member so affected.</p>

<p>I think in addition to e-mail and site messaging to me, a posting should be made under this topic on your progress.</p>

<p>I am a loyal PN supporter as you know, and this is a very bad experience. </p>

<p>Please fix it.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A look at other folders reveals the photo order has been ruined by the recent change to the introduction of 'pages' but apparently NOT so when viewed in certain ways, such as Slideshow.</p>

<p>PLEASE FIX CARA AND PROGRAMMING STAFF and also PLEASE REPLY TO MY NOW FOUR POSTS.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p>I made my first post on this on the 15th and also wrote Glenn.</p>

<p>To date I have received no letters, no messages, no posts in this string (or the related string), and the problem is not fixed.</p>

<p>I am wondering, has anybody at PN Administration/programming even acknowledged to themselves that a problem exists - -if so, they have not acknowledged that to me, let alone let me know they are trying to address it.</p>

<p>I am open to suggestions on what step to pursue next after five posts and one letter, all unacknowledged.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A first look today (Monday, a week later) finds that (without checking thoroughly) the 'New' folder appears now in proper photo order. I'll check the rest, but I am very grateful now that it appears that you are fixing or have fixed this problem. Thank you for your efforts.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>