Helloooo you pretty thing!

ejchem101

<p>So... Earlier this week I posed a question to the forum on whether or not to grab a cheap 1D II.<br>

<a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00YTLI">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00YTLI</a><br>

I ended up pulling the trigger and getting it (and have already sold the 5D). So i've got a spare $400 ish that I can use on accessories / Lens upgrading.</p>

<p>Anyway, The 1D II arrived today and I think I am in love. The solid construction / feel of a 1D is so different from the "Toyish" feel of the 5D and X0D cameras. The first time I pressed the shutter down it almost scared me how fast the shutter is (even the blackout time on slower shutter speeds is amazingly different).<br>

Yep, I went down in Megapixels, and FoV isn't quite as wide... but i'm ok with that.</p><div>00YV7O-344641584.jpg.53089910eff8511c0327d58c3633ad68.jpg</div>

<p>Main Decision to get it really came down to needing a good All-Around camera. I do shoot a good amount of sports and outdoor / nature photography that I really felt the 5D was slowing me down with the 3fps. The reviews I have heard mention that a 1d II can do portraits better than a 5D can do sports, and so far I'm agreeing with that mentality.</p>

<p>Erik,</p>

<p>So glad you are happy with the trade. I have come up against a fair bit of disbelief when suggesting trading to older pro cameras rather than the latest and greatest lower series bodies. It really isn't an on paper spec thing either, lots of people hate the 1 series for its size and weight and comparative low specs. But those that take to them really do take to them, like you say, shutter action, responsiveness and blackout times, maybe only milliseconds difference, but what a difference.</p>

<p>Remember to keep your iso as low as possible and shoot RAW. And with your $400 windfall, if you don't have it, please get Adobe LightRoom, it is the best addition possible, and some batteries!</p>

<p>Have fun, Scott.</p>

<p>Thanks Scott. I love Lightroom, absolutely one of the best purchases I have made. I'm thinking about putting the $400 and my 70-200 F4 and trading for a 70-200 F2.8, or possibly another flash (in addition to my 430 EXII).</p>

<p>I haven't completely decided yet. Another battery is on it's way :)</p>

<p>I'm happy that you're happy with what you did. That's the best outcome, regardless.</p>

<p>I am however, quite taken with your cat. My old, tiny calico is long gone, but I just lost my Maine Coon a couple of months ago, and your cat is a combination of both.<br>

I've promised myself that I won't get another pet until I've got some traveling in, but it gets hard when I see cats, pictures of cats, pet shops, or even pass the animal shelter.....</p>

<p>Why thank you, she is a little over 3 years old now. Amazing how fast time flies. As you well know, Cats are great if you want to travel. As long as I clean her litter and make sure she has plenty of food and water out, it is easy to have someone stop in a couple times over the week to check on her and freshen things up.</p>

<p>Amazing how cats are always so happy when you're home though.</p>

<p>Erik,</p>

<p>If you can scrape the extra together to get a 2.8 IS, even a MkI secondhand (that is what I have), you will instantly understand why the 1D series and the 70-200 f2.8 IS are the absolute staple of so many thousands of photographers all over the world.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The solid construction / feel of a 1D is so different from the "Toyish" feel of the 5D and X0D cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That was my first thought when I got mine.</p>

<p>I'd give it a good sensor cleaning since it doesn't have the self cleaning sensor. Mine looked like someone went through a dust storm with the lens off when I got mine.</p>