Hassleblad 500cm- digital?

mia_z

Hasselblad just announced the CFV digital back, and stated that it is compatible with 'all Hasselblad V System cameras manufactured since 1957'.

Phase One also has digital backs from H5 to the P45,that are compatible with all Hasselblad V(including 500CM) bodies.

I hope that this answers your question regarding whether you can put a digital back on a 500CM or not.

Perhaps the CFV Digital Back?

<BR><BR>

According to Hasselblad USA. <BR>

Camera support: All Hasselblad V System cameras manufactured since 1957.<BR>2000 cameras and 201F with C lenses only.

<BR>202FA / 203FE and 205FCC camera types need a minor camera modification to use F/FE lenses.

<BR>All other cameras with Hasselblad V interface.

<BR><BR>

More info at <a href="http://www.hasselbladusa.com/" target = _blank > Hasselblad USA </a> or any Hasselblad site.

I use a Phase One P25 digital back on a 503CW, a 500C/M, a 903 SWC/M, and on a 553 ELX.

For all these cameras I need a cable that runs from the digital back to the lens flash synch socket. If I was lucky enough to have a 555 ELD (which unfortunately I'm not) then I wouldn't even need this cable. The only other requirement is a mask that slips underneath the normal viewfinder screen and crops the screen down from 55mm x 55mm to 37mm x 49mm.

In practice it's a set up that works well, especially with the 500 C/M and the 503 C/W, because the time taken to manually wind on and cock the shutter is almost exactly the same time it takes for the digital back to write the image to the card, so I can shoot pretty much as fast as I can wind.

I also find that the 22MP 9 micron P25 is a good match for Hasselblad lenses, there's new digital backs with even higher pixel counts but I'd start to be sceptical that you'd really see much practical benefit in the final print.

Here in the UK the P25 is now selling at half its original new price. And this is for factory refurbished units with a full Phase One guarantee. Digital backs, with no moving parts, have a very healthy life expectancy. And with prices for secoond hand units only going one way there's a bright future for medium format digital photography.

Gary,

I,m afraid you are missinformed about the cable between 555ELD and P25, a cable is indeed required between lens and back.

However the Imacon V96c would work cable less with the 555ELD, and with a short cable between winder and Imacon back on a CW.

Now of course the Imacon CFV will work cable less on most models as it uses the plunger between body and back for activation. This is real shame regarding other manufacturers of backs and 'V' cameras and is one of the contributing factors which led me to sell my Phase P20 which i used on both a CW and 555ELD, and begs the question, if Imacon can do it why can't the others?

Sinar, Jenoptik (which now owns Sinar), Phase One, Imacon (now sold under the Hasselblad

name), Leaf and Kodak all make or have made "medium format backs" of various

resolutions ranging from 6mp to 39mp that work with a Hasselblad 500 c/m ( the "V" type

magazine attachment system) . All Phase One backs come from the factory with the

Hasselblad "V" mount and you buy an adapter to fit the Phase One backs on other camera

makes and models.

When I reviewed all of the 22mp offerings from these companies (except for Kodak which

never made a 22mp back) back in 2004 for P.E.I., Professional Photographer and "View

Camera' magazines , I had extensive talks with all of these rmanufacturers and the

HAsselblad "V" system is so commonly used because it is simple , reliable and is used by

more professional photographers than any other make or model of medium format

camera.