RAPID WINDING CRANK<br>

LATE RAPID WINDING CRANK<br>

<br>

Which one should I be looking at? What are the differences? Should I really

care?<br>

<br>

I'll be using this camera for personal use, so there shouldn't be a need for

rapidly cranking the film.<br>

The 500C came with a winding knob. You could get an accessory knob that had a light meter built into the knob. It was a very good meter, by a major manufacturer. The 500CM was issued with a fold-out crank built into the knob. As to a late crank vs. a plain old crank, I'm clueless.

Newer Hasselblads, I think 501's on up, have the crank built in. 500c and 500cm's usually came with the knob. A crank is easier to operate, so Hasselblad came out with an accessory crank that clips in place, replacing the knob. The originals had chrome parts, later ones were all black, and the newest ones protrude out from the body a bit more and are made of a heavy plastic that matches the cranks on modern V system bodies.

Another type is the winding knob with built in light meter. They are quite accurate, but there is no crank with meter. Any of the cranks will work fine. It just depends on the "look" you like.

The 500 C/M at first wasn't sold with a "fold-out crank built into the knob". It came with the knob.<br>At the time, you could get a separate folding rapid crank, which only could be used as a crank. Not as a 'knob'.<br>The late rapid wind crank is the one that doubles as crank (when unfolded) or know (when folded).<br>Three different thingies.

It takes a particular hand motion to cock the camera (wind the film) with the knob in one

go. Many people end up using two partial turns. The cranks allow one to easily cock the

camera in one circular motion without twisting ones wrist too much (or at all). The crank

also gives a good visual indication that you have wound it completely. The markings on

the knob are less visible in this respect.

This is similar to the difference between the old 12 backs and the automatic A12 backs.

The winding crank added a degree of ease to the process of winding the film to the first

frame, and to finish winding the leader after the 12th frame.

Taras

On this matter I would ask to you something: my bodies (500C and 203 FE) at about 3/4 of turn of the winding knob become harder to wind, in particular with magazine and lens attached. It is normal or it should be very smoot untill the end? The 203FE at the end of the turn make a clear CLICK as opposed to teh 500 that stop the turn without any noise, it is normal? The 203 FE just came back from a complete CLA by Hasselblad Sweden and behave this way, as before the CLA. The hard point is particular evident in using the rapid wind crank, you need to steady keep the body to turn the winding crank completely if the film magazine is attached and loaded. Please help me understand so that if this is not normal I can complain Hasselblad and ask to do the work correctly. It is normal for a medium format camera to be notisheably harder to wind than a 35mm film camera?