Hasselblad V back in X-Pan format

leicaglow

<p>A recent thread reminded me that I seldom use my X-Pan anymore. Now I use a framing mask with my Hasselblad V system finder, and just crop off the amount of image I need, in order to get a 24x60mm (or so) frame. But it had me wondering if Hasselblad (or anyone else) made a V system back for roughly that dimension, that would save film. I use it mainly for architectural work, and some landscape. I'm convinced the X-Pan lenses might be a tad sharper, but still not worth hauling it into the field.</p>

<p>Michael, I do exactly what you do. I crop the image to the aspect ratio I want. For architectural work, there is a great advantage to using the A16 or A 12 back. The advantage is that you get get to crop from the portion of the transparency you want. If you take your crop out of the top area, then you get some perspective corrction, and don't have to tilt the camera as much--or at all. Another advantage is that you can crop to the aspect ratio you want. You are not stuck with the proportions of the XPAN frame, which is often too wide and narrow.</p>

<p>I use the 40mm lens the most, followed by the 50mm and then the 60mm. When used for projection, I stick to a 27 x 54mm frame, giving me a 2:1 aspect ratio. I find that height is an important part of a picture. I get more image height with the 40mm Distagon at 27 x 54mm, than with the 45mm at only a 24mm height. I can include more foreground and sky, and have a better illusion of depth. The 30mm gave enough picture height, but it often included too much width for me, and I sold it.</p>

<p>Hello Michael. Rob F. beat me to it. Not so much for a 27x54mm format, but more like the film area of the 6x4.5 mag, .. and with the built-in "shift" effect, by way cropping. (A cm of film wasted is a whole lot cheaper than a MF shift lens of any description.) I improvised a set up for 35mm in an A12 back a few years ago, but the vertical film travel mentioned by QG was the biggest drawback.</p>