Has anyone been using their Tamron 11-18mm DX lens on a film body?

jamespjones

Two questions: Obviously older cameras won't be able to control the aperture - I am assuming this

means that it will always be at its widest setting. Can the F4 meter DX lenses? I know it can meter the

non-ai, so I am assuming this would work.

Second: If you are using it on a film camera, how are your results? Pictures or examples would be great.

I am mostly curious because I shoot primarily a crop-frame camera, but being able to carry one lens to go

real wide on a film body would be nice too. I know there is a Sigma full frame out there, but I am curious

about this lens.

thanks,

James

> "I am assuming this means that it will always be at its widest setting."

For viewing yes. But as soon as the shutter opens, a DX lens will stop down to the MINIMUM aperture if used on older bodies that are incompatible with G lenses.

> "Can the F4 meter DX lenses?"

Yes, it can (center-weighted, spot or matrix). But since all DX lenses are also G lenses, they can only be used in P and S exposure modes on the F4. And of course there will be severe vignetting at some or all focal lengths (depends on the DX lens).

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I have a Nikkor 12-24 DX. I shoot it all the time on my N80 and F100 bodies. It works from 16mm and up. At 16mm, the corners are unsharp and there is light falloff. By 17mm everything looks pretty good. From 18mm and up, you would never knows the lens was not meant for "full frame."

I tested a Tokina 12-24 f4 in a store once as well, and it behaved similarly.

I answer because I had a similar concern with wanting only one lens to cover both DX or FX. The 12-24 DX is a great lens (wouldn't mind if it were f2.8 though). The odd thing is that it is wider on film than DX.

• 5 months later...