Hanoi camera shop

I’m going to be in Hanoi, Vietnam in a few days time and I’ve seen a fujifilm x-t30 with 18-55mm lens on a shop website for 22,990,000 vnd which is about £760, that’s about £240 off uk price!! Anyone bought a camera in Vietnam or heard any stories of fakes? Seems too good to be true

the shop is “Vu Nhat Camera”

any help/advice would be much appreciated before I throw my money away/grab an absolute bargain

thanks, Marc

I’m going to be in Hanoi, Vietnam in a few days time and I’ve seen a fujifilm x-t30 with 18-55mm lens on a shop website for 22,990,000 vnd which is about £760, that’s about £240 off uk price!! Anyone bought a camera in Vietnam or heard any stories of fakes? Seems too good to be true

any help/advice would be much appreciated before I throw my money away/grab an absolute bargain

thanks, Marc

You may have problem with warranty and the camera may be used. But it's not possible to make a fake that you can't tell the difference by just checking it. Well it's possible but such a fake would cost more to make than the real thing.

In Vietnam there are a lot of goods that are slightly used. The store won't let you return either.

Considering the size of the physical store and the location, on first glance, it likely is a reputable establishment. If you are not comfortable (or inexperienced) with 'sussing out' businesses when traveling to foreign places then I'd advise to give it a miss.

On the other hand, I would have a look (inside the physical store): there are many reasons why (new) goods would be less expensive in that store than in a store in the UK.

That particular store (according to its Info Page) does not allow for returns (as mentioned by BeBu), but it does say it will exchange for faulty product within 7 days and with full packaging and no damage.

The fact that the store does not allow for returns (other than faulty product) should not surprise: that aspect of retail trade is not a world wide phenomenon - for example there are many US visitors to AUS who are surprised that they cannot necessarily return goods simply because they change their mind.

I doubt the Fuji Warranty would be valid in the UK. You might be liable for taxes when you return home to UK.

WW

I remember years ago, travelers used to buy Japanese cameras in Hong Kong at lower prices. Some of the New York camera stores also sold "gray market" cameras, which were new but didn't have the USA warranty. US retailers are still pretty good about accepting returns, though many now charge substantial restocking fees on electronics.

I've not aware of any fake digital cameras. On this topic, though, a photo was posted in the now-defunct Yahoo Zenit Camera Group of a fake "Nikon FM II" in a Vietnamese store window (a relabeled Zenit 122 with Helios lens). So buyer beware. :)

1194574953_FakeNikon.thumb.jpg.5d36b9331311b1afea0c4e82e46399c3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, Marc

I would take a look at E-Infinity Camers Store (e-infin.com/uk/). They have the camera and lens you are looking at for £769.

I have bought cameras and lenses from them and they provide a good service with 12 months warranty and 14 days 'changed mind' returns.

The cameras etc. are 'grey imports' so no manufacturers warranty but 12 months is pretty good.

BTW iI have no affiliation to this company