handheld reflector?

ekaterina_s

<p>Hello everyone. Has anyone ever used this type of reflector by themselves, that is without an assistant?<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-301-Basics-40-Inch-Reflector/dp/B000NFIW98/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I23560ZYRH0XVA&colid=333URZVGBOA6E<br>

I would really like to try to achieve the kinds of effects the reflector can give me, but can't afford an assistant, neither can I use a stand, because I primarily shoot on site (beach, park etc.).<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>You could put the camera on a tripod, hold the reflector yourself, and fire the camera with a remote. If you don't have a remote, the Yongnuo RF-602 is a cheap wireless one, be sure to get the correct one for your camera. Available from Amazon.</p>

<p>I haven't done the remote part (although I now have Yongnuo triggers). But, even though I sometimes have an assistant, they often aren't trained in photography, so I need to show them how to position the reflector.</p>

<p>I have that exact reflector. If you are doing head & should portraits, you can have the model hold it. Also, outside or not, why can't you use a stand? If it's windy you might need a heavier stand that you sand bag but it will still work. Good luck! <br>

--Wade</p>

<p>I have the nearly identical 42" Photoflex 5-in-1 MultiDisc reflector. Very useful. I probably get as much use from the white diffuser as from the reflector surfaces. And I have the Westcott telescoping arm, which is okay but the Photoflex holder is better.</p>

<p>I've used them outdoors mounted on a tripod, not a typical light stand. I use a Slik U212 Deluxe tripod which allows splaying the legs out wide enough to ensure stability in a very light breeze. But anything more than a very light breeze and any reflector or lighting modifier with a large surface area will become a sail.</p>

<p>If you need to use a reflector outdoors in any sort of breeze, you'll either need an assistant or a frame that can be guyed down. If I preferred to work without an assistant I'd get one of the rectangular panel reflectors and frame and use nylon cord and tent stakes to guy the reflector in place. Doing this means working very quickly because shooting during the golden hour at dawn or dusk means light changes quickly and you may need to reposition the reflector every 10-15 minutes.</p>

<p>As Wade suggested, the model can hold the reflector. But a 40" or 42" diameter reflector would be cumbersome. If you plan to have the model hold the reflector get a smaller diameter version.</p>

<p>While Photoflex and Westcott make very similar products, the Photoflex stuff I've owned and handled is slightly better quality but also a little pricier. The Westcott stuff is good too.</p>

<p>The size is a factor only for the photographer's convenience, or the working space available. The subject size usually isn't a factor. If an assistant holds the reflector, or the reflector is mounted on an anchored frame, the size usually doesn't matter. If the working space is confined then a smaller reflector is more appropriate.</p>

<p>For basic info on portraiture and using reflectors, there's a <a href="../beginner-photography-questions-forum/00RljT">list of tutorials here</a>. I'd recommend the <a title="Studio Lighting website illustrated tutorials" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.studiolighting.net/" target="_blank">Studio Lighting website</a> and <a rel="nofollow" href="http://ny.webphotoschool.com/" target="_blank">NY Web Photo School</a> illustrated tutorials to begin with for nuts and bolts technique on lighting using minimal, affordable equipment and reflectors.</p>