Handheld meter

jtdnyc

I am looking for a small handheld meter to use with my M camera

because I prefer to rely on incident readings and make all settings

before raising the camera to my eye.

I have checked the archives, but the answers give so many

possibilities that I?m not sure which to choose. I am hoping that by

describing my needs in detail, someone can suggest which of the many

meters mentioned would be the right one for me.

Most important, I want the meter to be small enough to carry

comfortably in a pants or jacket pocket. In fact, the smaller, the

better, as long as I can read it without switching to reading glasses.

I do not care if the display is analog or digital, as long as it is

legible.

I do not need flash capability.

Extreme low-light capability is probably not essential; though, all

else being equal, a meter that reads lower would be preferable.

Within reason, reliability is more important than price.

I have owned a Luna Pro F for almost twenty years and I am basically

happy with it, but I really want something smaller. (By the way,

anybody know how to get the dust balls out from under the dial cover?)

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I agree with all the folks above: Sekonic L-308B II. It's smaller than a deck of cards and

very light. Uses only 1 AA battery. In the past, I have used a few old-school analogue

Gossen meters, but they are just too big and cumbersome to carry around. The Sekonic

will fit in any of your pockets and it's very sensitive.

I'd recommend the <a href="http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_produkte.html?foto_sixtodigi.html,picts/navi_foto_sub_01_sixtodigi.gif">Gossen Sixtomat Digital</A> (may have another name in the US).<br>

Compact but not too small; 95 grams, large display, takes 1 AA battery, EV -2.5 to +18 @ISO 100, remembers last reading after power off, can display the contrast range of a scene.

Niels

The L-208. Really small and easy to use; keeps the reading for several second while you match the needles. The dial is clear and reads in EV's too, good for Rolleiflexes and Retinas. Takes incident and reflected readings. Cheap.

There's a small Gossen (Ana-Digi?) that looks all right too but I haven't used it.

I was able to remove the dust balls from under the cover of my Luna pro F. I used a small

jewelers screwdriver to elevate the clear plastic coverat the edge (not enought force to

break it) and fishing out the dust balls with another small screwdriver.

As to the meter - i was going to recommend Luna pro SBC - till I found out you already

had the F. Seems to me you already have the best meter.

The Gossen Digisux (or its flash cousing the Digiflash) is cheap and really compact. They tried to cram too many dubious features like a thermometer and timer, however, and the user interface is not as streamlined as it should be.

Sekonic studio Deluxe. No batteries. Works in most light where you can take photos. Mine works as new for twenty years.

Weston Euro master. Battery companies can`t discontinue this one either. A reflected meter with incident attachment. I just bought a hulk from Adorama, the salesman thought I was nuts, and then sent it to Quality Light Metric in Hollywood, Ca. for repair. Less than $100 and I`m good for twenty years or so.

Whatever you buy, get something that uses commom batteries so you can`t be discontinued and you can buy one in a drug store anywhere.

Gossen Lunasix-3 is what I have. Nice for "analogue" fans with needle and that stuff.. quite fast to work with. I like that ring style where you see all speeds and apertures. Alas.. uses the old 625-mercury cells (wrong readings with the new ones having 1.5V). An adapter from Gossen reducing the voltage, cost 25 EUR here..

Sekonic L308, 308B, 308BII (the former two can be found second hand but are discontinued, all pretty much the same meter). Gossen Lunapro *Digital* and Digital-F. I like the L208, it is tiny alright, but you'd probably need your reading glasses for it.

I like the digisix. It is quirky, and loaded with useless features, and had a horrible

interface, and it is expensive, but there is no other meter that is so tiny. I hate it and like

it at the same time.

It's not much bigger than a zippo lighter. Maybe 1/4 of the size of your Luna Pro, or even

a bit smaller.

Mike

I'll vote for the Sekonic L308B. I picked one up last year new for around US$100. I think the 308B II was coming out and B & H were offloading the old stock. Wonderful little meter...handles ambient, reflective, and flash both with and without cord. Definately pocketable and accurate.