Half Day and Full Day Rate

<p>Hello All,<br>

I am in a quandary as to what to charge for a job of photographing a couple of friends' new gym. These photos will be for marketing purposes.<br>

I have focused my efforts into shooting weddings this last year, yet word is getting out amongst friends that people like what I do, so I am branching out, and being asked for head shots etc; however, I do not know what to charge for a job like this.<br>

I am sure there will be shots of the gym, along with 3 profile shots of each the owners. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.<br>

Thank you,<br>

Steven B</p>

<p>Don’t charge for your time, charge for your skills.</p>

<p>Is every four hour period in your work really created equal? I've had two hour shoots that were more complicated and exhausting than some full day shoots, and my fees would reflect that.</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I agree with a little of what James and Dennis said. I am sure as a wedding photographer you know the editing that will go into this. You said these photos will be used for Marketing Purposes so I assume you are charging them a flat rate and providing them with a release to use the photos in their ads and anywhere they want to. They will be using these photos for possibly years. I would price according to time, skill, and how close of friends you are. If you very close them cut them a break if it is more an aquaintance I would only take off 10% of what I would charge someone I didn't know. They are also doing you a small favor by adding something to your portfolio you could show businesses if that's an area you really want to branch out into the future. Just don't price yourself too low or they(this particular client) will be expecing that same price in the future (and possibly saying how Steven totally did all their business photos for the low price of fifty cents to everyone around town). Basically don't charge anything you are going to regret later or I would let them know this is a "friends and family discount" say you would glady take any referals but each job is different and you price according to the job.<br>

I would price this at a set price for everything, not by the hour. But let them know this means you will be there from for example: 12pm-3pm. You know you are probably going to be there until 4, right? But if you say you will be there until 4 things will drag until 5, ect. This will give employees initiative to be there ontime and for things to move quickly. I always book clients for half of the amount of time that I know I will be there. I'd rather under promise and over deliver and it really wows them. Besides that- you are friends, and friends get to talking so expect this process to take a little longer than for someone you didn't know.</p>