Hacoflex TLR Shutterspeed dial

daanbuis

Hello,

I recently bought a Hacoflex 6x6 TLR camera, when I got it everything seemed to function properly, however that is not the case. The dial to change the shutterspeed is stuck. I was wondering if anyone here would happen to know how to fix this? Thank you.

I added a photo of the camera in a spoiler, as the image is surprisingly big.

[spoiler=The camera]M83S8Fa.jpg

Hmm. You will be lucky to find someone with specific knowledge of the Hacoflex. There were literally hundreds of different Japanese Rolleicord type TLR's, all broadly similar., but with different lens / shutter combinations. Many of them use the Tri-Lausar, which is quite a good lens, for example the Lustreflex:

The Tri-Lauser'd Lustreflex

I'd be surprised if there was anything physically blocking the shutter speed ring from moving, apart from dried lubricants etc from years of disuse. I think you have two choices. First, to use more force than you are probably comfortable with to overcome the resistance. Second, to open it up and try to free it up yourself or have it repaired professionally.

It might help to try to get a little lubrication between the front of the shutter speed ring and the inner ring marked SYNCRONIZED, being very careful not to let any oil get behind the shutter speed ring, where it could wreak havoc.

Hope this helps and perhaps someone will come in with more specific advice.

I have tried applying a bit more force than I was comfortable with, but it was to no avail. I would like to try and open it up myself, though I don't exactly know how to do that, my guess is to remove the screws that are beneath the leatherette? - If I can't repair it myself, I will try to find a camera shop that repairs TLRs and such.

• 2 weeks later...

The shutter seems to be a clone of a german Prontor shutter.

Anyhow, if you are new to camera repair, you should not try yourself. Usually these shutters are opened by removing the front lens element by unscrewing it and lifting the "nameplate" ring. Beneath it, you will probably see a thin ring with notches around the opening, held in place by a tiny screw. After removal of the screw, you can screw off the ring and CAREFULLY lift the shutter dial. It seems your shutter is gummed with corroded lubricant. The Prontor shutter and its clones can be set to any speed before or after cocking. In the link, you can find some hints for a similar shutter (with added slow speeds). prontors1