Discussion in 'Large Format' started by anthonymarsh, Apr 30, 2021.

  1. Does anyone know what the number 70 stamped into the wood 20210430_174647.jpg on the front means?
  2. Gundlach made cameras from the Bo Peep (really) of 1898 up to a stereo camera in 1920 or so (Kadlubeks) also see Gundlach - - The free camera encyclopedia.

    The name is associated with a bunch of more or less related companies, and a die-stamped "70" on the wood frame could be for anything from an inventory number to a serial number.

    Unless there is some ancient seer or collector of these here, I think it may be destined to remain a mystery.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  3. If you scroll right down to the bottom of this link you'll find the contact details for a Larry S. Pierce, who might be able to shed more light on the subject.
  4. rodeo_joe was not the seer I expected, but we'll have to do with the excellent site he points to:)
  5. That was fascinating to look through! I love the bicycle cameras!
  6. It is not a bicycle camera although from the front it could appear so. I will post more photos as I am new to large format and have many questions.
  7. Is the camera supposed to close more compactly or is this normal? Also what is a simple inexpensive way in which to repair minor pinholes in the bellows?





  8. Rubber adhesive (Copydex, if still sold) mixed with indian ink about 50/50.

    There also used to be black rubber adhesive, but I haven't seen any in years.
  9. gundlach.jpg
    I own one of these, a Gundlach 5x7, that I used occasionally about forty years ago before deciding that a 4x5 made more sense, especially since I owned a 4x5 enlarger. Now it makes a nice display piece. The camera folds as you show. The bellows do not compress further. My camera does not have "70" or any other symbol on the front standard.
  10. A readily available solution is to use "liquid electrical tape", which brushes on and then dries to a form a flexible and waterproof layer. It is readily available in hardware stores. I forget which brand that I used to repair a bellows about fifteen years ago, but common brand names include Permatex and Liquid Tape. I think that I learned about this method in an old PN discussion.
  11. Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice. I have found a product. LIQUITEX MARS BLACK. It remains pliable when dry and is available on AMAZON Under $10 and the tube will last longer than I can use it up.
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  12. I got some basic matte black "dimensional fabric paint" from Tulip. How it would work on bellows, I'm not sure. It does a wonderful job on pinholes in fabric shutter curtains however (my Nikon S2, for example), and requires no heat to "set" as some materials do. I think it would work if the holes are truly "pin"- sized.
    In the quantities needed for my kind of use, I think 4 oz will last longer than I will. I got it at Hobby Lobby.
  13. Isn't that a regular acrylic paint? Should then not any black acrylic paint work?
  14. It is acrylic paint. Until buying it I had little knowledge of acrylic paint having used oils and watercolor. I suppose that any acrylic paint that remains pliable would work.

Share This Page