Group/Team Photos In A Gym

azsports

One option to consider to consider is just not using a flash.

Personally I prefer using natural/available light and avoid using a flash when

possible ? a practice that may take a little planning to compensate for white

balance and exposure issues but the results are worth the effort.

Earlier this month I photographed the seniors on a high school basketball team.

Fortunately, the session was scheduled in a gym with decent lighting and I was

able to get a good exposure without using a flash.

Am I the only photographer shooting with natural/available light?<div>00OREg-41751584.jpg.c640139a95c3806b86bb5ad95578b92e.jpg</div>

I dont do too much of that type of thing, but usually the light inside isnt enough for an aperture that allows for enough depth of field to keep the pictures sharp.

Smaller groups like this one are a little more forgiving when you pose them nearly all on the same plane, but I think the D3 might allow me to try some available light too.

That is, though, one of the nicest team photographs I have seen. I would get killed for not keeping it horizontal to fit memory mates, but the overall concept is really nice.

Flash is your friend. Usually when someone says they prefer natural light indoors, what they really mean is they are not comfortable, or familiar enough with how to use flash.

I suggest visiting strobist.com and the Lighting 101 section to see how flash(es) can be your friend and help you create awesome images.

Dave,

If you've got something better that was taken with studio/flash lighting feel free to post it - I would like to see it.

Also please don't assume I lack knowledge of studio/flash light just because I prefer not to use it. It's just a personal choice.

Good Day...

I think your photo is wonderful!

I shoot a lot of gymnastics events, and for USAG sanctioned events, flash photography is prohibited (the next post in this forum is my post asking about rates).

In gmynasiums, I find color balance the biggest challenge, especially under halide lamp illumination. With halide lamps and short shutter speeds necessary to capture the action, the colors often shift when the lights flicker on and off (at 60 Hz)...in fact, different parts of the image can have different color casts in successive shots fired at 6 fps. (Anyone have a solution for THAT?)

For action sports photography without flash (gymnastics) a large aperture is required, and a fast ISO (e.g. 1600). I was shooting an event a couple of weeks ago, and the best I could do at ISO 3200 was f2.0 and 1/320 sec. ... gymnastics events are often in dimly lit gymnasiums!

Read my next post if you have any tips for setting prices. Thanks!

Richard,

Thanks for the comment. I have always wanted to photograph gymnastics but haven?t had the opportunity yet.

I cover high school sports for three different local newspapers and I have had assignments in gyms with poor lighting conditions to say the least. Fortunately I have only had to shoot under halide lamps once and hopefully never again.

I normally use f/2.8 lenses in most gyms but I have a f/1.8 that I use in extreme conditions ? newsprint can be forgiving when using a high ISO.

Flash photography is frowned upon by game officials in smaller gyms and photographers using a flash are often told that they will not be allowed to shoot from courtside during basketball/volleyball games - I have never had that problem. Not using a flash has also allowed me to take dramatic photos of fires and accidents ? but I always carry a flash (which I know how to use) with me just in case.

Thanks for the input,

Dave

One thing flash can help do in a static group shot is to darken the BG in relation to the group. Add the characteristics of a wide aperture, and the BG becomes less significant. Of course, a flash diffuser helps to soften the light along with compensation- on camera of flash.

Steve

To answer poster's original question, no, you're not the only one shooting with natural/available light.

<p>

As for the debate between shooting with available light or supplimenting with flash(es), both have merit, both yield pleasing results (if properly done,) and which way to shoot will depend greatly on circumstances/assignments.

<p>

Richard, I left a post about white balance issue <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OQpZ">here</a> recently which addresses your question.

I like the photo aswell, one suggestion I'd make is to move everyone back a few feet so the logo on the court (assuming it's theres) figures in the foreground and it will eliminate the wasted space at the top to the frame.

Good job, I always use flash for these types of shots but thats because i have it and I'm comfortable using it I'd love great light in gyms around here especially for martial arts but you can't have everything.

You can always add a vignette in post which will hide some background if it worries you, I bet it didn't worry the people who purchased the image but, nice job with the posing.

Wilson: Thanks for the great comments on setting white balance. Great advice (as always!). I just wish I'd get consistent results from frame to frame...but find that the flickering can result in some pretty significant frame-to-frame variation with high fps and high shutter speeds. Nonetheless, using an ExpoDisc aimed at the light source and using a slow shutter speed sounds like the way to go. I haven't been using a slow shutter speed (to capture the average color) when setting my custom white balance...so thanks!

Richard

• 4 years later...