Grand Canyon North Rim

mbwakali

Book early for camping! I too thought it was the road less traveled. Fortunately for us we were able to camp north in the Kaibab National Forest, but if you want to be in the park you better get your reservation in sooner than later.

The views (I generally recall) were less sweeping than from the South side but no less spectacular. And bring lots of water for your hikes.

People die all of the time at the Canyon. Remember it is a remote and very dry wilderness. Don't let that scare you.

A good place to camp is at large outside of the park in the Kaibab National Forest. Public land owned by you and I. You should not have too much trouble finding a place to yourself.

Remember, we have had almost record amounts of snow this month, so I would not expect the road to be open past Jacob's Lake until mid to late May. Keep checking though.

Walhalla point and Cape Royale are not to be missed.

Good luck, you are really going to have to think out of the box there...Grand Canyon is one of the most photographed natural areas in the world.

Enjoy...

Hey Paul,

I went to Grand Canyon last year, North Rim. It was great. Only problem we had, and it was a big one, can see the Colorado River. From the 10 or more overlooks we only saw the river from one, and it was very little.

We never hit the south rim but others told us it was better for seeing river. We went first week of June and there was no snow at GC. We did see a little snow near Bryce Canyon so it is possible. You also want to be at the good spots in the morning and evening. During daylight it can get very hazy.

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

The North rim is 1000' higher in elevation than the South rim. The South rim has far more

visitors, and if accessed more easily. The South rim of the Grand Canyon is the most

popular attraction in this country. Yes, it can have a lot of people at any given time, but,

I've never had that interfere with seeing what there is to see.

From the South Rim, it's a short hop to Desert View (Busy Bee), and in fact the South rim

can be accessed through Busy Bee, if you're traveling South on US 89.

Everyone has their own preferences, but the South rim is mine. Of course it doesn't hurt

that I live much closer to the South rim. It also doesn't hurt that there are FAR more

facilities at, or very near, the South rim, and that it is accessible year around, unlike the

North rim.

The view from the North rim is no better than the view from the South rim, just different.

I am fortunate. I live exactly the same distance, in road miles, from the North Rim and the South Rim.

I prefer the North Rim for "atmosphere" and solitude, but prefer the South Rim, photographically, for the better views and because the sun is behind you.

You've gotten good info here - the south rim is better for open vistas and views of the river from the rim, and the north rim is much less crowded, especially at a holiday like Memorial Day. The south rim has more amenities. Make reservations very, very soon.

If you don't mind sunblock getting on your camera (I hate it), use a good sunblock. Even in May, while the temp on the rim might seem reasonable (because of altitude), the sun will burn you good. If sunblock isn't your thing, wear a hat with a good brim. Always carry water; rescue is hampered by the absence of cell phone service.

I recommend going at least part way down into the canyon even if you don't want to make the trip to the river. Plan the climb back up to take twice as long as the walk down. And carry water! Getting below the rim changes the viewpoint and affords shots unlike all those iconic shots from the top.

Have fun - the GC is a fabulous place. And carry water (did I mention that already?).

Anyone planning to hike the Grand Canyon had better make sure that they are in the proper

physical condition PRIOR to attempting it. Countless people have to be rescued each year

because they underestimated what it actually takes to hike the canyon safely. This is not a

casual walk in the park, it is a very serious, and physically demanding undertaking.

Mr. Steinke,

I am located in Page. Drop me an email when you are in town. Be happy to show you the Toadstool and Wahweap Towers. Yeah, if you get a chance, you should visit Antelope Canyon. It has become a bit of a cliche, but it is still worthy.

• 5 months later...

I was at the N Rim a couple years ago, and shot up and down the Widforss Trail.

Took too much gear......

dropped my fav 100-200mm down a cliff.

My best suggestion is to take a detailed map, plenty of water, less gear than you think you'll need,

and either a lot of cards/film, or a portable hard drive to upload your shots.

A GPS is handy for pinpointing your locations when logging your photos.