Graflex 4x5 flash help

Hi all.

I have a lovely flash for my sped graphic. Think it’s a 3-cell but that’s because it fits 3 chunky batteries. Anyhow is catalog no 2773. It’s in lovely condition. Issue is I have put batteries in and put a test bulb in it. When I press the red button on the back it lights up. I got a new lead which has what looks like a US plug socket that goes into the flash. The other end has 2 little holes which I believe plugs into the 2 prongs on the lends I have, it seems to fit perfect. Issue is I don’t know how to get the lens to be triggered by the flash or vice versa. Do I plug the lead into the flash in the shutter socket or should it be another one like solenoid? Any ideas what could be wrong as it’s seemingly not working. There’s also a dial I can change from N to 1 or 2 also on the flash. If I choose 1 when I try the red button my test bulb doesn’t work but it does when set to N.

I should add I’ve only tested it with the test bulb and not a proper one time bulb. I have some but didn’t want to waste them messing around.

any help much appreciated.

If you check out my profile picture you'll see my speed graphic. On the left side you'll see it has an electromagnetic actuator. I had a "sync" cable run from the flash to the actuator, and a sync cord from the flash to the two prongs on the flash. This allowed me to trigger the lens with the flash holder, and the lens would trigger the flash. If you don't have this on yours, running a sync cord from your flash holder to the two prongs and then trigger the shutter as normal should trigger the flash.

Posting a picture or two of your setup would help further

• Like 1