Got Myself another KX

mark_crown4

Hi Pentax fans - I'd appreciate your suggestions.

'Just bought a wonderful Pentax KX off the well-known website - in extremely good condition (including a very clear viewfinder) with new light seals and 50 mm M 1.7 SMC lens.

What a camera! I've put some 400TX in it for a try out.

I had one a number of years ago but let it go - I used it with A 50mm 1.4. I got some superb photos. I made a big mistake then.

So, what other lenses might I consider for this beauty (I love my two Nikons - an FM3a and an FM2n but I had to have a KX again)? The 'clack' it makes when you fire the shutter is just brilliant. Just getting my head around the match needle metering. And it's so easy to focus even off the centre of the viewfinder.

In the past I've had Pentaxes - the MX (very slow to operate and over-rated in my view), the ME Super (extremely portable but my big hands did not take to it) and an MZ5n (a superb little camera in my view - its metering was better than anything from Nikon when it first came out). But the KX left the biggest impression on me in terms of build quality and performance. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

So what do you reckon - another 1.4 lens? A 1.2 50mm? Or short telephoto (if so which?). And what wide angle would you suggest?

Thank you in anticipation.

• Like 1

There are quite a few great Pentax lenses out there, so it really depends on what you want to photograph. I own both 50 f/1.7 and f/1.4 M series lenses and would be hard put to choose between them for quality--they are both excellent. Some of my other favorites include a 35 mm f/2 A series and an 85 mm f/1.8, but I've never had a "turkey" of all the Pentax lenses that I've owned over the last 40 years. My 85 was purchased new in 1978 and still functions like new despite heavy use.
  • Like 1

Not sure what your budget is like--the SMC-M 100/4 macro also makes a good general-purpose short tele, and they made a compact 24-35/3.5 zoom that would cover most wide-angle needs, though I haven't used it myself. The 40/2.8 pancake is also a nice lens that can take the place of a 35mm and 50mm.

Among the A-series lenses, the 28-135/4 is a nice walk-around lens, rather bulky but should handle well on the larger KX body. I've seen some very nice results from it.

• Like 1

I love my two Nikons - an FM3a and an FM2n but I had to have a KX again

Translates "Tamron AdaptAll" to me. IDK which of those were / are "good"; my 90/2.4 must have been a dog, with internal reflections stopped down. Zooms were just zooms of that era...

What about the current "Limited" series? (if we talk strictly Pentax)

I surely won't buy the A 100/2.8 macro; I absolutely dislike it's focus throw for general photography. Maybe the f4 is better in that field?

I'd almost blindfoldedly buy any 135mm. - I have a Pentax F & an A, but a no name "Revue", maybe same as "Raynox", took me some decent pictures too. Pentax' f3.5 wides have a reputation of being sharp, but If you need fast ones buy those.

Shooting primes on film I'd ponder to close gaps with my 2nd system instead of repurchasing the 1st.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Grats, Allan. I never had one of the Pentax f3.5s; only the 35/2. I hoped it would be easier to focus than the no name f2.8, I used previously. The bottom of my local k-mount prime market was pretty much flooded with "Revue" rebadged stuff, like that.

Dunno what to say about the various 50mms. I have f2 & f1.7s in manual focus and f2.8 & 1.4 in AF. The aperture ring of my "A" f1.7 feels crappiest, but it took pictures. towards the end the f2 ended more frequently in my bag. At f2.8 the f1.4 looks a tad softer than the f2.8 on digital. While it is a lens that I am taking on vacations, I wouldn't know why to ravish about it. Or in other words:

1. I fail to see a reason to buy ultra fast glass for manual focusing attempts.
  2. If at all, I feel more drawn towards the sharpness promising admittedly bulky more recent designs in that field. Packing a film camera I'd stick to sane lens speeds and playing safe in the DOF field. Anything else doesn't seem to work out for me.

YMMV.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Sorry - I popped back and did not get a response at first so I just left it at that but thank you all for responding.

I'm selling the 1.7 50mm M it came with and have got an 50mm 1.4 'A' which is a lens I love and have had before - it's a light gatherer extraordinaire that lens and really nice to use.

And yes, the K 3.5 35mm - I bought a lovely example from France and I am getting used to that and seeing the use of 35mm FL as a challenge (I nearly got the 3.5 28mm K too but I have 28mm in the Nikon range (an Ai F2) but do not have a 35mm Nikkor).

So, I'm sticking with that two lens set up for now. But the KX - the 'King of PentaX - in my humble opinion - and a wonderful camera to have around your neck.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...