Going back to School

stevecarlson

loss of job is giving me a chance to go back to school, I would love to take some courses on photography, I

love all aspects of photography, but I'm unsure of what aspect would be the best for me. Now I know that only I

can make that move. But I was any pro's and con's that any one can share

My part time work in photography is much fun but not at all financially rewarding (projects which provide gallery grade

images for sale), except that I get to claim some expenses on my yearly income tax form. While I am hoping it will

broaden into photo books, that too is not a sure fire income earner. I know I could work in other photographic pursuits

that would pay more, no doubt stress me more. but not provide the same satisfaction. I consider myself lucky to have (at least for

the present) another source of income and alternative work that pleases me.

All this to simply say that I think one must put down on paper a few examples of photographic work avenues to pursue, and to write down a

list of abilities possessed versus those you believe are required (not all photographic, many business related) tio succeed in a particular

area (sometimes 3rd party information from thiose in pro photography or teaching can help here), aspects that interest you, versus those

that don't, the potential for success in a particular market, the abilities you have that might be better applieed in a non-photographic

endeavours, and so on.

A few courses in photography may not be enough if you are planning a full career in the discipline. Maybe you could

apprentice yourself to a pro to not only learn the trade but also to gauge your response to it.

Another possibility may be to find a stopgap day job in your former field of work and to enroll in an evening photography

course. And sometimes only time can aid in helping us to focus our approach and to gauge our abilities.

Ted, love all. Arthur, Thank you that helps alot. Steve, would like to go pro, I am losing my job to Mexico, I am planing to go back to school,I would like to take some business courses, but I also would like to learn more about going pro, My dream, photo journalist. something that I know that is unrealistic, but even to find a pro to work for to learn the trade, that would be great

I hate to discourage, but turning pro is not an easy thing to do. Supply of photographers far outweighs demand for

their services.

It may sound strange, but very few schools (maybe with the exception of Brooks) really teach you how to make a

living doing photography. Mostly they push the academic genre of photography and have you take pictures that will

survive in that kind of classroom critique. Few skills you learn doing academic genre will enable you to make a

living, save it be teaching that style of photography in a community college or university. Even then you will have to

have a masters degree.

I would recommend training in something more marketable, and then pursuing your love for photography. A

professional, unless he is well-established in his niche, must end up doing a lot of boring, crank-em-out bread-and-

butter assignments like little leagues. This gets old very fast.

Also when you are letting someone else tell you what kind of pictures to take, your passion for the art will likely

fade. It took me years to recover from the days that I owned a studio, having to devote all my Saturdays to

weddings. Now I take occasional assignments that I like, and pursue my fine art works with a renewed passion.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I would do you no service if I told you it was not a hard row to hoe.

Steve, no need to be sorry. Your comment is very much wanted and needed. I would like to stay clear of studio work, I still would like to work under a pro to learn the ropes. I plans are not to plunge face first with no feet on the ground. I do tho need to learn the proper use of the camera I love to hold. I would love to be a photo journalist, but that I do know is a long way off, Again thank you for your time and input Steve