God Bless America

pavel_l.

I’m not 100% sure what the intent is. If you’re commenting on decay, I think you’d benefit from some editing - crop so that there are fewer visual elements, maybe focus on the God Bless America ornament and the patch of peeled paint next to it? Re-shoot it with a composition that prioritizes one visual element?
  • Like 1

I think there's a degree of abstraction in your composition that could be further explored, even while maintaining the obvious literal message. Such a direct, literal message being part of a more abstract-oriented photo could work very nicely, suggesting both visual harmony and aesthetic or narrative tension. The peeling paint blotches, the wood grain, the vertical interstices, even the leaf shape and rusting of the flag element, all lend themselves to a traditional and interesting abstract format. More focus on that aspect when shooting and processing while still allowing the God Bless America elements to speak could very well make this a rather inspiring and compelling photo.
  • Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

I'm with Sam on this one. I see the extreme decay of the ornament and the two fences as the main message. To focus only on the ornament would throw away much of the context. Frankly, I was struck first by the two different modes of decay of the two fences, with the one on the right, despite paint, still decaying. Then I looked closely at the ornament and saw the deep rust and decay. There is a permanence, but ultimately decay, whether it's a fence, an ornament or an idea. One day, will all be torn down and replaced? Is the thought of America more permanent than mere fences?

Really thought provoking. Thanks.

• Like 1

I like the vertical lines and the visual juxtaposition of the arcing red & white stripes along with whatever horizontal-ish lines there are in the small 'God Bless" emblem played against the verticality of everything else. I too, think a bit of a crop could be beneficial, maybe to a 4:3 or 2:3 format? It'd be nice if there were more contrast so the rusty "god bless america" bit of steel would pop a little. The wood grain and knots also serve to break up all the vertical lines. I think that helps add some interest here and plays well against the flaking paint of the wood trim on the right side of the photo. Speaking in general terms, there is a whole lot of nice texture going on in this and I think with just a little selective tweaking this could be an outstanding image.

All that said, I've been ambivalent about cropping or doing a lot of post work on my film images. I'm loosening up a little tho. At some point, one has, I think, to take a more objective view of things- and if cropping and/or doing some minor post work is needed, then so be it. That said, I will probably almost always present things as close to original as I can, then take it from there.

Edited by Ricochetrider

That said, I will probably almost always present things as close to original as I can, then take it from there.

I know what you mean and respect your process and goals. As for "original": I intervene as little or as much, in terms of post processing, as I think will work best for my ultimate vision of the photo. No matter how little or how much I do intervene, though, I think of my work as original! :)

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Thank you andylynn, samstevens, dcstep.

Unfortunately, it's practically impossible to show the more wide view and, in the same time, to preserve the details of sign on the fence. This pic shows the fence attached to the old house. This composition became very political to my eyes. I see the relatively new fence that holds very symbolic sign - US flag, it is significantly deteriorating. And the fence attached to the decaying house wall. I'm guessing you got the idea.

Cheers.

• Like 2

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.