Glossy LCD Display?

So, for those of you who don't yet know, Apple just refreshed their iMacs today. New cosmetics, the usual

performance upgrades...and the displays are now all glossy.

Can anybody with a glossy laptop display -- especially one of the MacBooks -- comment on how much of

a problem this is for photo editing? I'm assuming that the display itself is at least comparable to the

previous iMac, which is supposed to be as good as if not better than the ACDs...which, in turn, are

supposed to be as good as you're going to get without spending as much on a display as on a computer.

But what about the coating? Have they simply made it visually more appealing for the masses while taking

a step backwards for graphics professionals? Or is the glare problem not that bad, after all?

And has anybody tried to profile such a display, especially with the Eye-One Pro (the spectrophotometer,

not the simple colorimeter that only does monitors)?

Cheers,

b&

I dont think Apple have the pro in mind when they create the Imac line period...that dostn stop any of us to buy them because its a excellent computer, and for many, this is all whe need. I have one myself for home use and emergency weekend or late nigth rush; but i prefer my MacPro to work on my day to day job.

I once work on a Ibook with a glossy monitor and i coudtn get pass over it; having reflection from all around the place will i was editing image was a no no for me. Glossy monitor are good for watching movie or Iphoto slideshow (my oppinion as a pro photoretoucher).

I think it will be a step back, not for apple but for pro who wants to buy a Imac. I dont think it will be harder to calibrate, but i never tried it myself, many user have other brand of glossy monitor and i never heard any complaint about the difficulty of calibrating one of them.

>>> Can anybody with a glossy laptop display -- especially one of the MacBooks --

comment on how much of a problem this is for photo editing?

Glossy is great for photo editing. My MBP is glossy, wish my desktop 24" displays were the

same. It's coming. Apple has done a lot of research in this area...

www.citysnaps.net

Get a refurb Mac Pro minitower with two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors, a gig of ram, a 16x DVD burner,a faster internal bus, faster ram, lots of room for internal storage, and a 250 gig drive for $1900. Then buy extra RAM and storage as needed ... for less than or the same price as the most expensive imac. The only things you'll be missing will be the 6-button remote, camera, and monitor. But if you've already got a monitor getting the minitower is a much better investment for the long term, runs faster, and has better resale value.

for that price, il go with a Imac 20 inch 2x 2,4ghz, put 2-3 gig of ram in + you get the 6-button remote, camera, Ilife 08 and a clean 20inch monitor. better investment for sure!

Or go with the smaller one and get a Epson printer R260, a calibration device and you got yourself a minilab for less than 2000$...

thats what i call a better investment for your money.

be ready in 5 years to change everything with the arrival of Mac OS 12, call Lion (just kiding!) ; )

The better investment, if you look at resale prices and SPEED, is a Mac Pro. You can attach any monitors you want, multiple internal drives, the chips are faster, the RAM is faster, the internal bus speed is faster, you can upgrade your video card if you want, and it holds its value MUCH better if you want to sell it later on.

>>> for that price, il go with a Imac 20 inch 2x 2,4ghz,

Not for me, assuming you want to do photo work. The 20" model uses a TN-based display,

accounting for it's narrower viewing angle - OK for spreadsheets and email, etc

The 24" iMac uses an S-IPS display. Much nicer for photo work- it's apparent when you see

them side by side. A lot of value when you CTO a base 24" model with a 750 GB drive (+250)

and get 4GB of RAM from OWC for $229.

www.citysnaps.net

• 1 year later...

<p>so, for those of us (maybe only me) who were too ignorant to realize that a glossy screen misrepresents the appearance of saturation and exposure in an image and can not afford to purchase another computer or monitor... Are there any tips or fixes that give you a more accurate view of the final printed product?</p>

<p>I hope I'm not being too confusing. I'm just wondering if anyone has created a plug in or something that changes the brightness and saturation so that what you see on a glossy screen looks closer to what you see when printed? If not, do you just bump saturation and exposure up beyond what looks good on your monitor, knowing that it will look closer when printed?</p>

<p>any tips would be greatly appreciated</p>