Getting an extra exposure (12 rather than only 11) from a Super Ikonta

andyfalsetta

This may be common knowledge for some but I thought I would post this up since discovering this workaround over the weekend.

Those who are familiar with cameras such as the 532/16 know the film advance mechanism is programmed/designed to only yield 11 exposures from a roll of 120. This might sound petty or even "cheap" of me, but heck, the film is in the camera so why leave an extra exposure unused?

What I do is load the film normally, setting the film counter at "1" once the first exposure is seen through the red sight window on the camera back.

Then shoot your 11 exposures normally and when the shutter button locks up after 11 shots, just advance the film using the film advance knob and stop when you can "imagine" where the number 12 would be printed on the film counter dial. Then, because the shutter is locked out, you can't use the shutter release button, but you CAN shoot your 12th shot by triggering the exposure using the bar that connects from the camera body to the shutter on the lens. This bar is not locked when the shutter button is locked so you can squeeze out that last exposure and get your money's worth or get that shot you would have missed while you were reloading.

Hope this helps a fellow 532/16 owner.

Are the frames bigger than usual 12 exposure frames?

In any case, as far as I know there is some extra on the roll.

Among others, needed for loading in various reels and such.

Just as we get 38 exposures on a 36 roll of 35mm, depending on how close to the end you get,

and how carefully you are when processing.

-- glen

Are the frames bigger than usual 12 exposure frames?

The frames produced by a 532/16 are 6cm x 6cm however there a few Super Ikonta models that were 6 x 9.. The design of the Super Ikonta film advance mechanism is pre WWII. From what I have read, these cameras had frame spacing errors causing Zeiss Ikon to design the mechanism to increase the space between frames. In case there was not enough film left for a 12th exposure, the camera is designed to mechanically lock the user out of the 12th exposure. I suspect, film substrate thickness has evolved and is the reason why 12 exposures can comfortably fit on a roll of 120 now. To to obtain that extra frame, however, the user needs to work around the lock out by following the explanation I provided.