Getting a Rolleiflex 6006 and selling my Hasselblad 500 cm

mohamed_sherif1

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>I am thinking of selling my Hassy 500 cm and to get a Rolleiflex 6003/6006 instead. Is that wise?<br>

Both systems have great lenses and WLF and the images are square...<br>

I do not mind using batteries, although I like fully mechanical bodies --- and really like not having to meter outside the body, that is the main thing! I like shooting slides and that is the thing!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Mohamed,</p>

<p>Did you mean 6002/6006? The 6003 belongs to the later 6008 generation.</p>

<p>Wise? Yes! Any of the Rolleis, from the SLX on, offer better features and is more user friendly than the 500c/m. Take away the Zeiss lenses, and the 500c/m is a very pretty, but very ordinary box. For heaven's sake, it doesn't even have an instant-return mirror! <br /><br />While offering the very same Zeiss lenses and the very same 6x6 SLR paradigm, the Rolleis all have additional 'luxuries' like built-in motor drive, shutter speed increments to 30 seconds, viewfinders that you can change without having to take off the film back, easy-load cartridges, and best of all, unheard-of-by-Hasselblad built-in light metering and AE!</p>

<p>Being battery-dependent is usually flagged as the main negative for choosing the Rollei system. But that's really not a problem these days. If you buy a used Rollei, replace the tired NiCd cells with new, much higher capacity, no-memory-effect NiMh ones (our Chinese ebay friends to the rescue again) and you're good to go.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Remember, your Hasselblad 500 is a 100% mechanical camera. Repairs will not be a problem for years to come. The Rollei 6000 series is 100% electronic. I seriously doubt if it is possible to have these repaired if the electronics failed right now. The Rollei's work with an expensive big dedicated rechargeble battery. Saying big, do you realise that these Rollei's are big camera's? Bigger than your Hasselblad. Bigger magazines, bigger batteries (of course since the Hasselblad does not use a battery, bigger focussing hood. If you want to buy used, there is an abundance of used Hasselblad gear, often at nice prices. Used Rollei 6000 gear is rarer and often more expensive that similar Hasselblad products.<br>

My advise is to buy a good meter with a build in spotmeter like the Sekonic meters and keep your Hasselblad.<br>

All the best, Frank<br>

<a href="http://www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com">www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com</a></p>

<p>The Rollei can be repaired if necessary but with many used and cheap bodies on the market, it might be easier just to replace a dead body. Btw, I've had a Hasselblad V and a Rollei 6008. I liked both but if I had to choose, the Rollei would definitely win.<br>

Try to get a 6008i, if you don't plan on using AF lenses, or 6008AF if you do.</p>

<p>I owned a Hasselblad 500 CM years ago and now own a Rollei 6006. Both are superb cameras. I find the Rollei to be a more user-friendly camera and really like the built-in motor drive and automation. If you photograph a lot of action, or even portraits, the Rollei is a better choice. But, its achilles heal is that it is a 100% electronic camera. If your batteries go, your camera goes with it. Not so with the Hasselblad 500 CM. Being 100% mechanical, no need to worry about losing power at the most inopportune moment. I also wonder about parts for the 6006. It is an older camera and, being so heavily based on electronics, if some circuit board goes, you may have a hard time getting the camera repaired. Repairs probably won't be an issue with the Hasselblad (all mechanical and there are so many old bodies still around). </p>

<p>But, I like the 6006 and the pictures it takes. It's a well thought-out and well engineered camera.</p>

<p>Hi, Mohamed, i am a Rollei user but my answer to you is 'no'. The 6006 system is not a mature system. they use older type of batteries which uses different fuses, and working specimens are now difficult to find (NiCad batteries do not last). they cannot take PQ or PQS lenses. (they are not forwardly compatible). the auto-exposure system is rudimentary (this may not be a problem if you always use manual metering and manual control)<br>

but if you are a user of mechanical cameras then the most annoying issue is the shutter delay. this limits severely its use for candid photography.<br>

i would recommend that you get a 6008 if you want to join the Rollei party. if you have a 6006, then keep the hood and use it on your 6008. the eyelevel viewing device is a delight :)<br>

Cheers,<br>

Tak</p>

<p>If you want to compare weights, you would have to find a Hassy with instant return mirror, power winder, built-in ttl metering of flash... and see how much that weighs.<br>

An electronically governed shutter is extremely accurate and stable, and the metering is extremely accurate, too, though for the 6006 it is stopped-down metering.<br>

A 6006 body may be quite a bargain, but it is getting a bit old; 6008i might be available at good prices, and that has some additional features.<br>

It is possible to repopulate the NiCad Rollei battery pack with NiMH cells, which makes it hold more of a charge, for longer.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would love to have a Rollei 6k, but I wouldn't sell my Hasselblad. The only reason I haven't is money. They are not all that inexpensive by the time you buy lenses, in part because they are somewhat rare in the US. The point about the system not being mature, is an apt description.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Keep all your lenses, magazines, finders, etc. and get a 203 FE or 205 FCC (forgot about those, Ray? ;-) ).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not at all. But did you forget that <em>built in </em>metering is not present in ANY V-series body, including the 200 series, Q.G.? ;-) And that you have to sacrifice WLF viewing in order to get V-series metering? Mohamed wants to retain WLF viewing -<em> "Both systems have great lenses and WLF and the images are square..." </em>and still have TTL metering - <em>"really like not having to meter outside the body".</em> With these considerations, his only 6x6 SLR choice is a Rollei.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Saying big, do you realise that these Rollei's are big camera's? Bigger than your Hasselblad. Bigger magazines, bigger batteries (of course since the Hasselblad does not use a battery, bigger focussing hood.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Frank is right, on a 500c/m to Rollei comparison - but let's compare apples with apples. To dress up a Hasselblad to the same (as near as possible) spec as a Rollei, you need to start with a 200 series body, replace that small focusing hood with a bulky metering/AE prism, add a bulky external winder, and the form factor becomes less streamlined as well. It would be more costly, and just as battery dependent.</p>

<p>I'm not trying to start a war here, but I often find that the Rolleis don't get a fair hearing in questions like this.</p>

<p>I would stay with Hasselblad.Mechanical, pure and simple.No meter.get one! One you hold and measure with.Medium format is more deliberate and slow.The Rolleis are electronic. No circuit, no camera. Rollei went belly up! Hesitate to buy a special battery electronic camera made in Germany.Electronics not a great success there..<br>

The Leica M-9 does disprove my statement till you really compare the results of a low end Nikon/Canon DSLR. I am a confirmed Leica user but would never invest in a M-8,M-9. The price horrendous and the IQ and electronics, below par. Leica may also not have access to sensor,with Kodak selling off stuff like at a rummage sale.<br>

Years ago i sold/traded my Pentax 6x7 outfit.. The battery has to be full power..I kept the Rolleiflex TLR Automat with 75mm Tessar lens. The Pentax battery can be assembled from 4 xD76 cells.The Rollei 6000 series are special. Look what happened to Hasselblad EL series..<br>

There are lots of Hasselblads out there for use. The other one is rare esp. here in North America.<br>

Maybe get a DSLR with everything built in, including coffee maker!</p>

<p>Rollei is now being made and serviced by DHW. No need to spread rumours there, or about German electronics. My Sinar back is made in Germany by Jenoptik and it was 100% reliable and still performs well after 4 years or so. Leica's pricing is irrelevant to this thread, and Kodak's sensor division is now owned by a stable company, not one on the brink of bankruptcy. That's a good thing!</p>

<p>The 203 and 205 models do have built in metering. No need to buy a metering prism for those cameras although with the prism, the metering result can be seen better than with the folding hood.<br>

With regards, to Rollei electronics. I once bought a brand new Rollei 6003. It stopped working within one hour. Had to sent it back to Germany, camera was gone for 3-4 weeks. Shortly after that, the shutter in the 150mm lens I had stopped working. After that, I went to Hasselblad. Never had 1 problem with that brand and all was bought used. Every word of this is true.</p>

Ray,<br><br>It has been pointed out already, but re your:<br><br><i>"Not at all. But did you forget that built in metering is not present in ANY V-series body, including the 200 series, Q.G.? "</i><br><br>I did not forget that, because it's not something to forget. <br>And that, Ray, simply because it is not true. 202, 203, 205; all have built-in metering.<br><br>You, as it turns out, did not forget either. You just didn't know.<br>Shows how well informed the advice some people give is. ;-)

The Rollei 6000 battery problem is really only a psychological one.

New OEM batteries are still available for retail price.

And new replacement batteries are available for $40 from China pre-welded. Needing only 2 solder connections for

replacement. I have done it, it's not hard. These Chinese NiMH replacements hold 3 times the charge of OEM, and

even those will do 300 shots on a charge, I have no conceivable need to take 30 rolls worth if photos at one time.

The Rollei IS twice the size and weight of a Hasselblad, but its form factor completely makes that forgivable. The hand

grip ergonomics is pretty comfortable for me. I don't rightly know what to hold onto with the Hasselblad, and feels

awkward to me, like I have the puzzle box from Hellraiser in my hands.

The battery "problem" was an objection for me before I bought it, but I found it's not real for

me now.

What really is real is the cost of the lenses compared to similar Hasselblad lenses. You're going to find some sticker shock there, with the PQ and PQS lenses. The similarly equiped Rollei kit is going to be considerably more than a 501 system, after the second or third lens is factored in. I need to research the Variogons more, that may make things reasonable, dunno. Do Hasselblads even have zooms available for them?

Somebody likes the Rollei, when I bought mine there were a bunch on eBay. There is only one 6008 Pro and one new 6008 AF on sale now(well when I looked a couple days ago). Not including the prop 6008 and transparent 6003 which have been on sale for

months.

If you want a less expensive system with a bunch of lenses, I would stick to Hasselblad. I don't know what is meant by immature design for the Rollei, it seems pretty well designed to me considering everything that it encompasses. 1/1000 shutter speeds with flash synch, accurate ttl metering, forgiving backs and inserts, no lens jams, great form factor, zoom lens availability, Zeiss and Schneider lenses, fast shooting with vertical transport, 645 ability, etc.

In the end, both systems have been almost completely depreciated. If you buy one or the other you can always sell it later for about what you pay for it now. Use it, sell it if you don't like it, buy the other later. Even if you do lose a little bit, consider it a very affordable rental charge.

<p>Well I did exactly that, sold my 500cm and bought a 6006 with 40, 80and 150mm lenses, bought on Ebay for a total of $1100, added a spare battery and remote release, could not be happier. As has been said if I had not liked the Rollei I could pretty well sell it for what I paid for it and go back to the 500cm. But that is not going to happen, I love that Rollei, find it much easier to handle despite the weight, love the instant return mirror and find the metering very accurate, and much prefer the laminar blind on the back, I never knew where to put the dark slide on the Blad (I could only afford old type backs without the slot for the darkslide). If it ever goes wrong I'll just get another body, they're cheap enough. In fact the Rollei has re-invigorated my photography, it's that good.</p>