getting a photograph to transfer to an egg shell

Okay, I know that polaroids can be transferred back and forth via some process,

but how about if I want to transfer a photograph onto the shell of an egg?

I'm not talking the emulsion and so forth, and this would be to create an

heirloom, not a crack it open on the day type of thing.

It's a crafty type question and one I can't figure, or find the answer for.

Perhaps some kind of transfer paper? Or I've heard tell that one kind of color

photocopy can be transferred to other surfaces.

Any ideas whatsoever would be appreciated.

Best,

Daniel

Your first challenge in transferring an image would be the curved surface of the shell. You would need to have your transfer in that curved shape, otherwise (with a flat transfer sheet) you will have wrinkles in the image that will distort and break-up the image.

Tough one.... as Evan has already stated your transfer medium has to be flexible enough to bend around the egg.

I'm certainly interested in hearing any ideas that people may toss out. The only thing I know that would work for sure is a Polaroid emulsion lift which you're not interested in.

Unfortunately, the technique mentioned on the page above requires more than the page shows. What you see there is an idealization. I wonder if the author really made an image on an egg. Seems that if he did, he would have a more realistic picture of the egg and wouldn't have had to fake the background and shadow.

When you project the image on the egg to make it work right the image will have to be just right to fit on the center area of one side. If the image is larger, it will 'stream' off to each side, out-of-focus. That might be cool! If you stop the enlarger all the way down, the results might be more acceptable. Or not. It's up to you.

If they results are not acceptable, you have to distort an image in a photorendering software using something like a bowl-shaped perspective then elongate it, then make a negative for the enlarger... aw man... it's too much.

How about making a nice pin-on button instead? Or get one of those dinner plates with the transparent bottom and put the picture there? It might be cool for rabbit stew.

Explore using decals of the type model builders use for model airplanes. These are colorful thin plastic transfer sheets intended to allow the hobbyist to put detailed reproductions of insignias, logos and other markings on their models. I did a google search for 'DIY decals' and found several sources for instructions and supplies. One is based on a process that begins with an inkjet image.

Thanks for the ideas all.

Here's the thing, I have the images I wish to use, so a liquid light emulsion would involve more of a projection, and I wanted it to be in color...I'm a snob, in my mind a b/w image will be real and true art work, and several tries to make it right (meaning more than a few days in the dark room!) I'm going to look into the decals and using photoshop to warp the image in a way that the surface will be compensated for. I'll try to post any results.

Thanks again all!

Daniel

<p>There's a transfer medium called Omni-Gel that should do the trick. It's available online only, I think, from a place in Texas, and also at Joann.com. I've never used it, but have heard great things about it from people who have. I have 2 unopened bottles on my shelf... someday I will open them!

<p>As I understand the process, it starts with a color <b>photocopy</b> of the picture, then several thin layers of the gel are painted over it and allowed to dry. When dry, the whole stack is soaked in warm water, and the paper peeled off, leaving a very thin, transparent membrane with the colors encapsulated in it. That is allowed to dry, and then applied to the surface using another thin coat of the gel, followed by 1 or 2 topcoats/sealer coats, still of the same gel.

<p>The membrane with the colors in it would definitely be flexible enough to go around the egg, so your only issue would be the shape of the top & bottom portions of the picture, so that it will fit on the egg without overlapping. Good luck, and I would be interested in hearing your results, too!