fun question - best car for wedding photographers

klm

I am throwing this out there for intrest, but the next time I go to

buy a car I want to consider that I live in New England with all

kinds of crazy weather changes, but I still have a job to go to.

Which would make the best car the car that got me there! Of course

there is a question of budget, but for the fun of it, find out what

some think is a good car for practical money, or what others would

buy if money was no object.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how much you have to haul. If you have a passle of kids, or just a big photo kit, a minivan is still a good vehicle for some. I believe you can still get the Chevy Astro in 4 wheel drive. If you travel lighter, an Audi Quattro would be nice.

It depends on your location. How far do you have to drive? How god are the roads? Living in Alaska, I don't want to go back to 2 wheel drive, but most 4x4's don't do the best with fuel ecconomy. I like my Isuzu Trouper, but for some a Toyota Prius is a better choice.

It depends on your budget. I like the Hummer H1 idea. A far better vehicle than the H2 for getting you anywhere if money is no object. Of course it means that there will be four other car owners not being able to find fuel that week. But for most locations that Quattro would provide more entertainment on the road.

It depends on your notion of whimsey. I friend just bought a Scion & thinks it's great. It looks to me like a small Honda Element, but it actually has seatbelts for one more person, so he can get his family in it. He uses it for his high-end remodel business of all things. It looks really dorky with a long extension ladder strapped to the roof rack, but it works for him. My wife chose a Geo Tracker - rag top. She thinks it's a practical Alaskan car. Go figure.

The older I get the more protective of my body parts I get. There's just to many cell phone

jockey, McDonald munching, semi-blind, emotionally aggressive drivers out there. So, it's a

Volvo SUV for me. XC-90 ... Air Bags are us; a passenger cage like Fort Knox; Computerized

anti-roll; On demand displacement V8 that sips gas ... unless you tromp on the petal ... then

it honks!

BTW, the Hasselblad loves riding in this truck ; -)

I have a 2000 Tahoe currently having it's engine rebuilt so I would stay away from that one. I'm driving the Element right now- it is fun and zippy to drive and has a better stereo than my car-an AUX jack for my MP3s- very important for wedding photography :)

I like Saabs - very safe and handle well, even in snow, and the price is usually very good (see highwaysafety.org for crash test data). But who knows about the future of the comapany? So I lease. The best deal that I ever got was several years back - a new 1999 Saab 9-3 sedan for $249 per month (sales tax brought the toatal to $262). And that was without a capital buydown. Just first month's payment plus security deposit of $500.

I've never been big on 4 wheel drive as my biggest concern with snow is stopping, not starting. If front wheel drive doesn't get me going, then I should stay home.

Robert

Stacy, what's the Element like? The net is full of wonderful things about them. Our mountain bikes and two water loving sporting dogs seems like a good fit with the plastic floors...Good road trip vehilce? Folding seats/beds?

Eric- This is actually the first time I've driven it very much. My husband loves it though. Every week while I'm at weddings he takes the girls sailing at his dads (well- until it got cold) and every Sunday he sprays out all the muddy foot prints (from our dog and children). Once we went through the car wash and left the sunroof open on accident- plastic floors were nice :) It is nice and fun to drive- it picks up fast compared to my giant SUV. And did I mention the good stereo? This is our 3rd Honda and it is always a pleasure to do business with them- they send you gifts- like $100 gift cards and such!

My father just bought the Toyota Highlander hybrid and came down south to see me. I find it to be a pretty solid feeling vehicle and takes souther farm roads pretty well. It has a ton of room too and I couldn't see filling it completely with photo equipment for a wedding. It seems to be a pretty complicated piece of machinery, but he has an 8 year warranty, so he's covered for a while. Gets excellent fuel economy and has tons of torque.

How cool would it be to roar up to a wedding in my very first new car ... a 1968 Plymouth

Road Runner, 383 CI, Torqueflite trans, Yellow with Black racing stripes. Had it worked on by

the Chrysler engineers who moonlighted at a Sunoco station on 8 mile. Used to eat SS 396

Chevelles alive.

Speaking of "alive" ... I lucky I'm alive. Retina separating acceleration ... with fade prone 14"

drum brakes to stop you. How stupid was that? Had more tickets than a scalper hawking the

world series.

I grew up in Vailiants. I've showed up and shot two weddings in Valiants/Darts. A 62 and my 63 convert. Sold it last fall. but kept the rare rally wheels and radial t/a's...now i turn up in a lowered golf gti with 17" bbs and 40 series yoko's. just not the same...