Fujifilm Natura - new 24mm f/1.9 point-and-shoot for low-light shooting.

ewhale

Very interesting, though unlikely to be widely available outside Japan - just look at the Silvi/Zoomdate F2.8.

The camera is properly called Natura S: http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmcamera/35mm/naturas/index.html

The film is Natura 1600: http://fujifilm.jp/personal/film/color/35mm/

I wonder how it handles fluorescent and/or tungsten lighting...

That's a neat little camera. Fuji has developed an impressive line P&S's over the last while - Fuji DL Zoom, the Klasse (AKA Rollei AFM35), Silvio 24-50mm (w f2.8) and now this. The optics on most of these cameras seem to be highly regarded. Too bad the latter models don't seem to make it out of Japan.

Amazon Japan sells the Silvi F2.8, with a 24-50mm f/2.8-f/5.6 lens, for around $300.

It's quite easy to order from them; the checkout process can be done in English.

They also sell the Natura 1600 film; a 36-exposure 3-pack seems to be around $16,

not including shipping.

The Natura S doesn't seem to be available from them yet.

24mm f/1.9 p&s... If the lens on it is a decent one, and I 'suspect' it is, this camera would indeed be a great toy! I know that you can use the film speed dial for exposure compensation on some p&s cameras, but would there be a way of playing around with the aperture on this thing? And what is the longest exposure on these kind of cameras usually (or similar Fuji models)? You see where I am going with this; 24mm lens, f/1.9, and fast film would be great for available light, but what do you do if you want more DOF and you do not want to use fast film (and say, place this thing on a steady surface)?

>you can use the film speed dial for exposure compensation on some p&s cameras,

Does look like it can be done with this one. BTW, the "film speed dials" on such cameras are in fact "exposure compensation dials" and not the other way round.

>And what is the longest exposure

1 sec.

Andrew, it does not have user-selectable exposure compensation control. But since it only has 4 DX contacts, it will read and meter ISO160 films as ISO100, so NPC and NPS will be effectively given +2/3EV in it. I find these good choices for shooting in daylight with the Natura-S.

But wait, there's more: a big feature of the camera which I have not tested yet is a "camera-selected" exposure control of between +1.5EV and +2EV, which only kicks in if you are using ISO1600 film. This is designed to give better exposures in dim light without flash (which is what the camera was designed for) and is called the "NP mode". Im trying to get some ISO1600 DX labels to "trick" it to thinking NPZ800 is ISO1600 to see what happens.

The 4 user-selectable modes are flash off (which cannot be set as a preference), red-eye reduction, infinity, and what looks like second curtain flash.

Thanks Andrew - 1 sec. is not bad; maybe not ISO 100, but with (fine grained) ISO 400 film, it should work for the kind of 'slowly dissapearing' light (and some DOF) I had in mind. On the other hand, are you positive about the fastest shutter speed you quoted (1/360sec.)? Given the ISO 1600 film Fuji seems to be advertising together with this p&s, 1/360sec. would be 'problematic' on sunny days outdoors.

David, I am based in Singapore, and purchased it online through the Japanese cybermall rakuten (www.rakuten.co.jp). Its the Japanese equivalent of amazon, with many Z-shops. Most of them don't deliver outside Japan, so I used a trans-shipment hub provided by my local post office. Perhaps you have a similar service available to you where you are.

>are you positive about the fastest shutter speed you quoted (1/360sec.)?

That's what the official page says.

>Given the ISO 1600 film Fuji seems to be advertising together with this p&s, 1/360sec. would be 'problematic' on sunny days outdoors.

My point exactly. I wouldn't use even ISO 400 film if I expect to shoot under sunny conditions with this camera.

Yashica T4 Super (a.k.a. T5) had 1/700 top speed. Even the Ricoh GR1 series go to 1/500. These are reasonable speeds considering ISO 400 is the prevalent film that people use with their P&S (and the wimpy flash), not to mention the fact that Fuji chooses the same Natura moniker for an ISO 1600 film that is marketed alongside the camera. Imagine the shock of the less-knowledgeable when they get blown-out summer vacation shots with the combo.

I, for one, don't shoot the whole roll under the same lighting conditions either. But it's obvious that Fuji purposefully leave out some important features and won't be adding them back later on. How much is saved by a low max. speed and omitting the exp. comp. dial? 10 bucks perhaps?