Fujica ST801 Test Results

davecaz

Hi Guys,

I got a nice Fujica ST801 awhile back, and finally have some results from it. Not that there's anything special, except maybe my snazzy "hippy strap", about my particular example of the ST801, but I'm sure someone will want pix of it, so here ya go.

20180220_144111-SM.thumb.jpg.fed80f780e89ab888371794d1bbdd1e4.jpg

It came with a partial roll of film in it, so I decided to use the rest of it as my test roll. I took the ST801 and my Canon 6D on a trip to a semi-local "Peach Fest", last Fall. I'm glad I had the digital along because, while those shots are nothing special, either, they are at least technically sound.

I'm not sure if it was the age of the film or if I had something set wrong, but the net result was a roll in which the first half was completely blacked out and the second half (my half) almost completely washed out. The scanning software told me there was "no document to read" when I tried to scan my shots in. I didn't listen to it, though, and went ahead and scanned them. If anyone has any ideas on what might have caused that result, please share them.

I'm glad I went ahead and scanned them because, while they're not "usable" shots, they do, after a lot of post-processing, serve to show the kind of image quality the outfit is capable of, I think. Here's an example (excuse the dust spots, I didn't bother to fix them).

20180220_82_82-Edit-SM.thumb.jpg.f87ca364d5fcb147c134bad683fde39a.jpg

You need to bear in mind that the negative was so thin it was practically clear, so about 10% of the pixels are blank white, even in the shadows, so it looks a bit washed out. But, I am still very impressed with the level of detail it captured, despite the problems, and the smooth bokeh. I think I probably shot this with the standard 55mm f/1.8 prime, though I'm not quite sure.

It's a nice camera to shoot with, and all the shots I was able to turn into something visible were in focus, which is not always the case with me. I find it difficult to focus these manual lenses on my digital camera, which has no focusing aids. The split prism finder in the ST801 was a treat. I can see this camera staying in my "permanent rotation" of users and, being an M42 mount, I have lots of lens options for it.

Yes, that era of Fujica SLR's were excellent cameras, and the 55mm Fujinon f/1.8 is very good indeed, a lens I favour for use on the digital SLR's. I assume the first half of the film was blacked out due to the back of the camera being opened at some stage, but why your half was so thin is mysterious, indeed. I guess you've checked to make sure the shutter isn't stuck on it's top speed of 1/2000th? I'll look forward to seeing your results from a subsequent roll.

Yes, that era of Fujica SLR's were excellent cameras, and the 55mm Fujinon f/1.8 is very good indeed, a lens I favour for use on the digital SLR's. I assume the first half of the film was blacked out due to the back of the camera being opened at some stage, but why your half was so thin is mysterious, indeed. I guess you've checked to make sure the shutter isn't stuck on it's top speed of 1/2000th? I'll look forward to seeing your results from a subsequent roll.

I suppose it's possible that the shutter speed got stuck. I think I would have noticed that, but I'll have to check. And, yes, I did open the back of the camera when I first got it, not expecting it to have film in it. But, I wouldn't think that would affect such a large percentage of the roll. *shrug*

It may be some time before I get another roll through this one. There are other cameras with film in them that I need to finish shooting, first. I really want to finish up the roll in my RB67, but I don't like to waste such expensive (to me) exposures just to finish the roll. I need to find something really worth shooting with it. And there's another rangefinder, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that has a roll in it.

This particular model of Fujica SLR 35mm camera is very impressive (And still quite the bargain).

Ahead if its time features like:

1. An accurate 2,000th of a second Top shutter speed (Adjusted properly).
  2. Solid State LED lights metering (Using more sensitive & faster responding silicon photocells).
  3. Modern easy to obtain 6 Volt battery (Silver, Lithium or Alkaline).
  4. With their Fujinon lenses that couple to body's "Pin", WIDE-OPEN thread-mount metering.
  5. Fully lined FLARE-Resist mirrorbox lining.
  6. During its era, a very bright viewfinder.
  7. Wonderful EBC MultiCoated lenses.

P1010776.JPG.0e808ab87c9a7e932617267a41c08633.JPG

This particular model of Fujica SLR 35mm camera is very impressive (And still quite the bargain).

Ahead if its time features like:

1. An accurate 2,000th of a second Top shutter speed (Adjusted properly).
  2. Solid State LED lights metering (Using more sensitive & faster responding silicon photocells).
  3. Modern easy to obtain 6 Volt battery (Silver, Lithium or Alkaline).
  4. With their Fujinon lenses that couple to body's "Pin", WIDE-OPEN thread-mount metering.
  5. Fully lined FLARE-Resist mirrorbox lining.
  6. During its era, a very bright viewfinder.
  7. Wonderful EBC MultiCoated lenses.

[ATTACH=full]1233912[/ATTACH]

Thanks, Gus. I wasn't aware of some of those features. It was the lenses that led me to it. I can't say that I find the LED metering useful, though. It's pretty much impossible to see, with my glasses. It's too far off to the side. I can just barely see a red light, but I don't know what it's trying to tell me.