Fuji X1-Pro Or XE1 for Wedding and Event work?

<p>I'm starting to really appreciate that zoom lens. To my eye (and various reviews) it's competitive with the better 17-50/17-55 f/2.8 zooms for crop sensor DSLRs. The primes are also really good. The 35mm f/1.4 is as good as most German rangefinder primes.</p>

<p>I do think if this is for pro wedding work you'd have some gaps with the Fuji system, like a good tele zoom and a really good flash system, and the Fujis aren't as quick as the higher spec DSLRs, but if you're trying to supplement a system you already have with something small a Fuji might be a good choice.</p>

<p>As for which body, it's a bit of a tossup I think. With the X-Pro1 you have a larger body, better rear LCD and that hybrid finder. The X-E1 is smaller, has a lower res (still not bad by any means) screen and no optical finder but the EVF is better, with higher resolution, more eye relief (it's very comfortable with glasses) and adjustable diopter. I don't really like the optical finder and I do like the kit zoom, so I went with the X-E1 kit.</p>

<p>I have the X-E1, and as great as it is for static photographs (which is what I use it for), I'm not sure it would be my choice for wedding/event work, unless it's as a backup. For us old guys who grew up using rangefinders, its user interface is absolutely great - use it once or twice and it becomes second nature. So that part is good - but it's not the quickest at autofocus, and even with the 35 1.4 (I have that and the zoom) it struggles a bit in lower light. I love the camera, and though I have tried many different ones these last few years (Nex 6, micro 4/3, Panasonic, Oly EPs) this one I'm keeping. The combination of modern technology and old school UI is just what I want - throw in outstanding IQ, and I'm sold. I sold my Nikon D300s and the 2.8 zooms I was using to get the Fuji (I also have the wide angle zoom, and the good flash, so I'm into it for $3,000).</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Not sure if it's worth getting the X-Pro1 over the X-E1 unless you really need the OVF. IQ is the same. The money saved could get you an extra lens - the 60mm maybe? Have a look at Zack Arias's blog where he gives a real-world review of the X100s. Short version ; AWESOME...and yes, he's used it at weddings. You may also want to look up English wedding photographer Kevin Mullins who's reportage style is done with an X-Pro1.</p>