Fuji X-T2 - flickering and flashing white light when autofocusing

Hi,

I just bought a Fuji X-T2 and I am having an issue with it. When I half press the shutter, there is a "jumpy" movement in the EVF and sometimes even a flash of a white light seen before it locks onto focus. I think this has something to do with the aperture blades of the lens opening and closing. It's quite disconcerting and detracts from the shooting experience.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and if this (hopefully) is something that possibly has been fixed in a firmware update that I haven't done yet. Or possibly there is a setting I just haven't found?

It's really too bad, because aside from this I really like using the camera and the image quality is incredible. I've thought about changing to the x-pro 2, however I would like to use longer lenses and they really get in the way of the OVF. The other camera I would change to would be the Nikon D500, but would rather not if this issue with the fuji can get fixed.

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Looking at my XT10 with 18-55mm zoom, it does seem to jump a little when I partially push the shutter button, but slightly. What lens do you have? Try turning off the lens IS. DPR Forums is another good place to ask these kinds of questions. My Fujis were tough cameras to initially set up, to the point where I was convinced there was something wrong with my copies and they had to go back to Fuji.

I had a similar situation until I understood the setup menu and made some changes. Go to menus and select AF MF then go to RELEASE/FOCUS PRIORITY and select AF-S PRIORITY SELECTION AF-S (FOCUS)

AF-C PRIORITY SELECTION AF-C (FOCUS)

Also check Depth of Field scale and make sure it is on Pixel basis.

Look at the diaphragm under conditions where the white flash occurs. I suspect the diaphragm starts in a preset condition, then opens at the moment of exposure for more accurate auto focus. That occurs in my Sony A7Rii with some settings (e.g., DMF). You probably have the option to preset the diaphragm so that it is always in the closed position, but that adversely affects focusing speed.

Also check that the EVF is set to Auto for now. I tried MF with focus peaking set to Red High and are not having this problem. Menus are menus I disagree with Ken Rockwell on this. If getting used to one Brands method of menu navigation, then switching to another, human nature is to find discomfort to learn a new way. I don't have a problem understanding the menu in the XT-2, I just know that I need to know it and that takes time. Once you get it, it becomes a non issue. I hope this issue you are having doesn't turn out to be a technical aberration with the camera, that would be a drag, but as you mention other Brands, I've heard the nightmares others have had with various brands and to be honest this issue here today is the first time I've heard of an issue with Fuji, but that doesn't mean anything I'm just one person.

• 1 month later...