low-light. My subjects are humans - this is a reportage. So, my

questions are:<p> 1)Between the GS645 and the GA645, what do you

guys/gals prefer? Which is quieter, and then by how much? I prefer

to be more stealthy than not. Am I expecting too much if I judge all

other cameras by the decibel level of my Hexar AF stealth? :) I guess

I am basically looking for the Hexar in 645. <p> 2) The GA645zi:

Noisy? Would you choose it over the GA/GS645? Slow lens culd be a

problem, but all versions would end up at 5.6 so as not to be shot

wide-open anyhow. I have actually held and played with this one.

Might be slightly too large, but the zoom could be very useful. <p> 3)

From what I gather, the close focus of all these cameras is about 1m.

Is this correct? <p> 4) Lastly, this project will be shot in Tokyo.

Anyone know if they are cheaper over there? <p> Thanks for all your

answers.

Paul,

I have a GS645S (looking to buy one? :-). I can tell you that the shutter is not quiet. If the GS is the quieter one, i wouldn't want to be anywhere near the GA645 when it fired. It's like a very solid "bang" when it trips.

Also, I'm not sure the RF patch is bright enough for use in low light. I've used the camera in low light before, but just with zone focusing. I set the meter to 1600, load up some TXT, and set the shutter to 1/15 or 1/30. I can often get to about f5.6 or even f8 if I can, in fact, get down to 1/15 comfortably. Which gives me just enough DOF that I can guess accurately (enough) to get my subject in focus.

allan

I only have a GA645, so I can't tell you about the other models. The GA645 has a very quiet shutter, the film advance is louder. A meter is correct on the close focus range. The AF is pretty good, its not as fast as a good 35mm SLR, but accurate. The auto exposure is great, at least for me I tend to use the aperture priority mode. The lens is great, but having only one focal length is a pain, the zoom version may offer some relief on that issue. Lastly, the GA has a small flash, its not powerful but can help.

In Tokyo, the GS645S is under US$400, the GA models are US$500 to $700, with the GA645Zi being more like US$800.

The GS645S has the sharpest 645 lens I own; it's a real joy if you're a detail freak. The GS645S bokeh is a tad harsh, and the 5-bladed iris makes ugly pentagons out of out-of-focus light sources, so you have to be a bit careful with it. But it captures detail. Lots of detail.

I find the GS645S rangefinder difficult to use, so you may not be happy with it for quick shooting.

It's a shame there weren't more cameras along these lines. But reportage was the domain of the 35mm Leica and studio and commerical pros wanted and I guess needed SLRS. I think you clearly want the Bronica 645. It will be professional quiet quality, of recent vinatge for servicing, you will have a choice of 2-3 lenses, and I think the vertical default may actually work best for what you intend. The price will likely continue to fall making it an excellent value in my opinion.