Fuji GA 645 Professional

maiku

<p>I have been indulging myself as of late buying classic modern cameras. Why not? It relieves the stress. I found this Fuji GA 645 Professional on sale. Near the end of the fiscal year Japanese retailers reduce prices on items to get them out of the store. I took advantage of one such sale a used camera store. I am happy that I did.</p>

<p>I have been trying to convince myself that I did not need another camera. However, I have always wanted to try a Fuji 645 format camera. Why? Simply the lens reputation is overwhelmingly positive. I wanted a medium format camera that I could carry around that did not hurt my back. I also wanted a camera that had a metering system. At times I hate trying to figure out exposure with a meter or in my head. Determining exposure in my head hurts my brain. In fact I get a brain strain because I do not concentrate on composition. I would love to buy a Bronica 645 or Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 inter-changeable lens system, but the cost of an entire kit is beyond my means. I settled for this lowly Fujica GA 645 Professional.</p>

<p>The Fuji 645 has at least 5 models. The first models that appeared had auto-exposure settings, but manual focus. I believe the first model had a folding bellows. The next model had a roll placed over the front lens element it to protect it front accidental bumps. The third model introduced auto-focus. There is even a zoom system lens. Though the one I tried had a very limited range. I thought the zoom was too slow and limited that I passed on it. In addition, Fuji offer two different lenses. The standard 60mm f4 Super EBC and the 40mm f5.6 Super EBC. The 40mm lens package is very pricey.</p>

<p>Now, my model has a 60mm f4 Super EBC lens. It has auto-focus, which can make you deaf as it loud! It is relatively fast and accurate. I have not miss any shots as of yet due to speed or accuracy. Focusing is from 70cm to infinity. The aperture settings are from a modest f4 to f22. ISO setting run between ISO 25 to ISO 1600. EV setting are from -2 to +2. </p>

<p>I like the camera a lot. It is light. The viewfinder is clear, uncluttered and bright. Auto-focus is accurate. The meter is deadly accurate too. All in all it makes taking medium format photos a breeze. Please enjoy the photos.</p>

<p>Films used were Kodak TX 400 pushed to 800, Fuji Professional 400 and Fuji 800.</p>

<p>Mike</p><div>00YVx1-345339584.JPG.dc779cb06518406510407dae1fddde15.JPG</div>

Michael -

Great photos, seems like the camera suits you.

I have the old folding bellows version (the GS645Pro w/75mm f/3.4 lens). Lots of fun and very high image quality.

The new Fuji/CV folder seems very similar (80mm rather than 75mm), but it sells for well over 6x what I paid for my GS645 in good condition.

Enjoy,

/joel

<p>Great, as usual, <strong>Mike.</strong> No matter what else one can say, Fuji have always been innovative. I've often been tempted by these cameras, but could never really justify paying the high prices they demand down here when I had other 6x4.5 options. The lenses are certainly superb; the "Who me?" portrait really demonstrates the depth and brilliance they can impart. Nice post; many thanks.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the nice responses.</p>

<p>Louis, the great streak is the scanner. I periodically get that streak with color negative film scanning. Why? I do not know. It never happens with positive film.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Starvy- if you'll settle for manual focus, the Fujica GS 645S has the same 60mm f4 semi-wide angle plus a coupled rangefinder. Also has match diode manual exposure and a mechanical leaf shutter that runs from 1 sec. - 1/500 sec. plus B. Often go for under 300 USD. I've had one for a couple of years and really like it. In an earlier post I referred to it as a "modern film camera in the classic tradition."</p>