Fuji G690 BL

bruce_macdougall

The biggest problem with these is Fuji does not support these cameras anymore, so if you buy be sure to get a mint example and use it gingerly because if it breaks thats it. The quality of the lenes is comparable to the current crop from Fuji, that is to say very good. Although they are not particularly fast. Cheers George

if all you are going to use is a normal 100mm lens or a wide angle 65mm lens you are better of getting a new gw or gsw series camera. i picked up a gw with a 150mm to be used soley for portrait work and to supplement my gw series with the 90mm. out my way apex cameras in walnut creek california will still service them.

Hello Bruce,

I have been using an old Fuji BL690 for several years, with the 105mm automatic lens. I also use at the same sessions a Rolleiflex TLR with a Zeiss lens. While both cameras produce beautiful images, I tend to favor the 6x9 transparencies over the 6x6 ones made by the Rolleiflex. The Fuji lens is very sharp, and the colors come out beautiful.

• 2 years later...

I use G690, G690 BL and GL690. Wonderfull camera. Extremely robust. Gorgeous optics. Rasor sharp, even wide open.

If there is a problem a skilled mechanic can fix it.

Be aware that the 180 mm and the 150mm are hard to focus. Better take different fokused photos of same subjekt.

Shutters seem to by no problem and are amazingly quiet. AE works wonderfull.

Camera is a bit heavy, but did you ever carry 6x9, 6x12 or 6x17 cameras, that are light?

If you see photos and just want to take them, perfekt equipement.

I love my Fujis.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a good camera that has been obsoleted by the manufacturer. As others have stated, a good tech can fix almost anything. nd there is also SK Grimes, machinists who specialize in cameras (located in Rhode Island). They can manufacture just about any part you might need (or adapt an existing part).

Robert

I recently bought a G690 off of ebay and had myself a bargain. I had it shipped over to London, UK from the states and was obviously a little bit worried that I had bought an old wreck.

However I couldn't have been more wrong. The camera is in fantastic condition and the photo quality is superb. Maybe I got lucky but in this world sometimes we can only achieve by taking risks!