Fuji brings back the 2/3" sensor

phule

Very nice job, they're on the right track. 6-8Mp would have been enough though.

Later this year 2/3" 24-85 cam and I'll be happy as a clam, ok?

...no wait, if Olympus brings out a 4/3 sensor p&s with reasonable zoom and price then I'll be happy as a manatee (when not driven over by a boat).

I really need more coffee.

Just reading your subject line was enough to get me interested. Especially having seen what Fuji sensors can do on the S3 SLR. But, sadly I was disappointed when I looked at the article. Just what is wrong the camera makers? If I wanted that sort of bulk, I'd use a APS framed camera like a 350D.

I still like my 2002 model coolpix 5000 because its compact, has a bigger sensor (than 1/1.7 or 1/1.8) and has RAW (well, NEF). I'd like some light rangefinder to supplement my DSLR not try to imitate it.

sigh

nice try Fuji

Chris,

I agree the camera is sort of at an odd point relative to other camera sizes in the super-zoom/bridge category. Next to something like the Canon S5 or the Olympus 560 (or the newly announced 570), this camera does not appear to be focused on the same market.

However, considering the focal length range and the sizes of lenses needed to match it on the 350D, the Fuji is not a bulky camera by any means.

Clearly, this camera is not aimed at the same market at the "junk" cameras like the Canon S5.

The image quality from most of the smaller superzooms is horrid. I believe Fuji is offering a

true SLR alternative for those of us who may not want to lug a body a set of lenses. Throw in

movie mode and other "bridge" features, and it looks nice. Yes, it's big. But compare the

feature set and lens range pound for pound with an SLR setup, and it looks lighter all the

time. If the images can stay clean up to ISO 800, well, I'll be in line for one.

Rob,

Well, it's all a matter of reference. Compared to any SLR, the images from the tiny sensor cameras are, at best, bad. Add to that the heavy-handed NR and the result is a smudged mess. There's no reason for this. Image quality has actually dropped since the Sony F717, which was a 5MP camera with a 2/3" sensor. Why? Marketing. You can still produce good pictures with them, just as you can with a Holga, but from a technical point of view the image quality of most small sensor P&S cams has been dropping steadily over the past few years. Since the new Fuji has a larger sensor and fewer pixels than other cams, like the Canon G9, I'm hopefull that Fuji has produced a "bridge" camera that can produce clean images up to ISO 800. That would make it a nice choice for me when I hike, bike, or take a motorcycle trip. There's no way I could carry the SLR equivilant for that lens range on most of those trips. BTW, when I used the term "horrid" I had the Sony H9 in mind. A true dog.