found: bring back alive or put on display?

I found a couple of cameras (cleaning up after a relative passed away)and

wonder if I should bring them back alive and maybe use them, or just clean them

outside and put on a shelf.

1: a Voigtlander Bessamatic with a 50/2 Septon, 135/4 Super-dynarex and 35/3.5

Skoparex. Lenses look clear without scratches but grime and rather stiff

2: Zorki 4 with a 50/1.5 Jupiter 3. Lens has lot of light scratches

What would you do with them?

The Zorki 4 is a really nice camera, actually. It's not collectible (there seem to be hundreds of them on *Bay) but it performs well and those Jupiter lens can be really sharp. I say 'can be' because Soviet cameras of that age tended to have uneven quality control. If the camera works, get a new lens for it and try a roll of film. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If you have a local repair shop, I would suggest taking them in for estimates.

I've done that with a few cameras, and it rarely costs me over $80/camera to get it fully CLA'd and functioning very well again. If it's going to cost a whole lot, then I'd reconsider, but especially the Zorki is fairly common, and to quote my repair guy, "A rangefinder is a rangefinder." (I questioned him on fixing FSU rangefinders specifically, but that's what he told me. And he's been doing it for 20+ years, apparently, so I believe him :)

If the Bessamatic works by all means clean it up and use it. Don't take the meter seriously but you'll be pleased with the Septon. Actually the camera itself is pretty user friendly. I prefer it to the Retina Reflex and have modified my Retina lenses to fit it.

I have heard so many pro & con comments about Soviet era lenses to include Jupiter 3. All I can say is maybe I lucked out with my M39 mount Jupiter 3, scratched front element and all. I mounted it on a Canon 7 and took comparison shots with a Canon 50mm f1.8 (black barrel)and was astonished with the nice qualities of the Jupiter photos. The images were better than with the Canon lens (my subjective opinion). Maybe my like-new looking Canon lens was not a good example! My good luck with Jupiter lenses extends to the Kiev 4 camera as well. Nice contrast, sharp as a tack. Right up there with some of my Konica III photos. Now I expect to hear from someone that I'm 'full of it'.

Not at all Gary. My favourite telephoto lens in M42 is a Jupiter 37A. It's a f3.5/135 mm manual stop that I've come to love. Maybe there are better ones around, but I don't think I have to look for one. The best part of it was the price. It was a gift from a friend whose Zenit took a dump on him.

Glenn: Who's your repair guy? Does he accept cameras to work on shipped to him?

Regarding the topic: I agree, put some film through! Carefully clean the lenses!

I have a Zorki 4 also and agree that they're great cameras! Also a FED 3, 5 and 5B. They're all great.

I'd like to throw in a vote for the Jupiter 12 (35mm) and the Industar 61 L/D (55mm). Both great lenses! And both available new.

If the Zorki works, get it adjusted and it should serve you well.

Regarding the Voigtlander, of course I'd pursue it.

OR

Give 'em to Gene!

OR

Give 'em to me!!!

• 2 weeks later...