Focal Point, Vancouver

petra_talvio

I'm planning on applying to Focal Point in Vancouver and their Full

time Photography Diploma Program. Reading their website the program

seems made for me but I would like to hear views about the program,

school, level of education, anything else of importance/interest from

people who've attended the program.

Petra -- The saying around Vancouver is that if you want to become a starving "artist" go to Emily Carr -- I know several ECI grads, none are working.<P>On the other hand if you want to work and make a living in some area of the Photo Industry go to <a href="http://www.langara.bc.ca/programs/PRPI.html"><b>Langara </b></a>.<P>I know several Langara grads -- all are working. They say thats because they've paid their dues -- according to them the Langara course is brutal, especially the first year.<P>I'm told you eat, drink and sleep photography, that you won't have time for a part time job (or taking many photo's for yourself). Plus, you gotta have your math and English as the course is just as technical as it is artistic. I believe there are always more people applying then will be accepted so early admission is advised and a decent portfolio will help.<P>Oh right, Focal Point -- I've never met anyone who has attended their full time program. I've heard a couple people comment that their part time programs were disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm also looking for a photography school, i looked into focal point and thought they are a good school until i found out they charge 25000 for the full diploma program. it would take me 3 years to save that much. Jim i'm going to take your word and take the courses in langara. really, thanks so much for the information, i was also in trouble looking for a school, that's why i came into this forum.

• 4 years later...

<p>Okay, I'm not so sure if anyone has recently inquired about signing up for Focal Point's full time program but I called them a few days ago and to my shocking surprise I have discovered that their full time diploma program (10 months) is an amazing $60,000.00. <br>

I think this is absolutely ridiculous and GROSS!!</p>

<p>Has anyone else had similar experiences??<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Okay, I'm not so sure if anyone has recently inquired about signing up for Focal Point's full time program but I called them a few days ago and to my shocking surprise I have discovered that their full time diploma program (10 months) is an amazing $60,000.00. <br>

Thanks.</p>

Thanks.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Kang Wang, I'm not sure that's correct. I've been emailed by Focal Point in the last week after I inquired about the Full Time Diploma course and I was told that the full course fee was $16,500.<br>

?<br>

I heard that Langara was more geared up towards Photojournalism as opposed to studying a variety of industries within photography, anyone know if that's true?<br>

I also looked into a full-time, one year course with VanArts. However, their course fees are pretty high. Around $27k and $32k for international students.</p>