Flying with Tripods

Monophoto

I will be flying to California next month with a tripod as checked luggage, and

am puzzling over logistical options:

1. Large suitcase, with the tripod inside wrapped in underwear.

2. Tripod in a standard canvass tripod bag.

3. Tripod in a specially-constructed plywood box.

In the past, the large suitcase has worked, but there is always the risk of an

overweight charge. I've also done the canvass tripod bag, but the anxiety level

about it getting lost or damaged enroute has been pretty intense. The plywood

box would be pretty secure if I could figure out how to securely close it while

still making it possible for the TSA to open it for inspection.

What are your thoughts?

I have traveled several times with a tripod as checked luggage in a vinyl tripod bag with no problems. Well, the airline lost my luggage for four days once, but the tripod was no more and no less lost than the regular suitcase. I typically pack T-shirts and stuff in the tripod bag.

Are you maybe worrying too much? It's a tripod, not a $6000 lens.

I carry mine in a suitcase with the head removed; I carry the head on the plane in my vest.

I have, in the past, put the legs into a ballistic nylon tripod bag (with the head attached), but to protect it, I fitted the tripod/head combo into a length of PVC pipe. Not lightweight, but it definitely will protect the tripod. I just cut a piece of PVC to length and use 2 end caps. Easy, but to be honest, these days I just put the naked legs in with my clothes in my large suitcase. If they bang me on an overweight charge, it just isn't that expensive.

A tripod is essential to much of my photography so I carry it on the plane. I take off the head, wrap both the head and tripod in clothing, and put them in my carry on suitcase. My camera backpack (with laptop) is on my back. If my checked luggage is lost, or worse, I have everything essential.

More here:

http://jimdoty.com/Travel/pack_light/pack_light.html

Jim

<p>I always do #1 - tripod fits in my suitcase fairly well when wrapped in clothing. A canvas

bag doesn't provide enough protection - plus the straps tend to get caught in the conveyor

belts. And I don't like the idea of a special tripod box since it's too small and increases risk of

getting lost by the airline.</p>

<p>There is no option to take a tripod as carry-on any more. Not even a small table-top

one.</p>

I have generally had to check it in as outsize luggage. This just means that it does not go on the conveyor belt. You just have to go and collect from the outsize luggage desk at the other end. By the time I have got cameras and lenses it just isn't feasible to take it on-board as well.

I have a $100 tripod I fly with. Usually I wrap it in my checked bag, but last time I sent it through in its canvas bag.

Got back home, luggage arrived on conveyer, loaded and drove home. Left the tripod in the bag in the trunk of the car.

A couple of months later, carry tripod (still in the bag) and camera to venue to shoot our local symphony concert. Unzip tripod bag. The head was sheared clean off! Like Paul Bunyan gave it a big old twist.

Luckily, I had a small pod for digital, and a beanbag to prop the F100 on, so everything worked out all right. I had waited too long to file a damage claim from the airline.

So be careful when checking your tripod, and inspect it when you get off the plane!

I usually carry it on in a tripod bag without the head wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap. I have also checked it this way, and it usually comes out in the oversize baggage area. The first time that happened I thought the airline lost it. Never had any problems, but I usually only check it on the WAY HOME from a trip.

• 2 weeks later...

ALWAYS carry on unless you absolutely can't. I've seen gear crushed in anvil cases, your suitcase and clothes don't offer that much protection to a determined baggage handler. I always use a pelican case as my suitcase just in case I get thrown on a commuter jet and have to check my gear in. Even then I'm not comfortable with it because from the look of my pelican case is on it's last leg, god knows what they've done to it.

There have only been a couple of times where they have given me trouble for bringing a tripod. 99% of the time they won't hassle you about it.