Flatbed scanner recommendation - V850 or similar

The topic has not yet been very popular. I do not have experience with epson scanners, but I have Canonscan 9000 mk II that is much more affordable and makes reasonable output from medium format negatives. 35mm is not so hot but since canon has ir dust removal I often save my dust removal efforts with it. Epson 850 is surely good option. Long time ago I looked for Braun 120 scanner and that was bit more than 1000 dollars.

The Epson V 850/V800 are pretty usable up to 3200DPI. The real advantage is that they are quick and will get through a lot of work

You can calibrate the focus, to maximize the sharpness. I process in Lightroom, and use Epson scan, in essence as a RAW scanner, employing very loose settings.

This is from a Ektchrome 35mm slide taken in 1979. I used to have a LS50, but sold it because I had to scan several thousand images. The LS50 was much too slow.

I am perfectly happy with my V800 and keep within its limitations F04A9BC796F44BFDBF2BC5B250C5F14F.jpg

NDE

My 6 years old Epson V700 just bit the dust, and I'm considering buying an Epson V850, but I'm curious, what else would you guys recommend in the 800-1000 dollar price range?

I mainly scan medium format negatives, occasionally some 35mm negs as well.

Thank you!

The Epson V800 is good value for money. The V850 is a V800 with a little more scan quality squeezed out of it, but will cost considerably more dollars. You do get an extra set of film holders with the V850 though, and IT8 target, it just depends on whether you want to use those or not, as to which scanner you want.

“The V850 has all of the little extras that we know how to do to make that image quality better. The structure of the two scanners are identical, but the V850 Pro has anti-reflection coatings on the optics, and high-reflection coatings on the mirrors, that simply eek out the last bit of image quality we can get from that system.”

Link ...

Epson V800 vs V850 — The 5 Differences and Which You Should Buy

The film holders for both scanners have anti newton ring surfaces for the film and these holders are dust magnets. I clean my V800 holders with a slightly damp cloth, the dampness avoids static electricity but only if the surfaces are not wiped a second time with a dry cloth, perhaps just one wipe to remove any very small droplets of moisture left from the damp cloth, but if the cleaning continues beyond that point, static electricity starts up again