Flash setup for macro in the field

count_chocula

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

<br /> I'm sporting a D5100 with a Nikkor 105 Macro lens, and loving it. I have a tripod, and sometimes use the hold-a-walking-stick-along-with-your-camera method as I'm often tromping around the tropical forests and don't want to haul the tripod. The next step in my never-ending quest to get a good macro system is a flash.<br>

<br /> I've seen other posts (e.g. http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00be05) with some great insights. I'm on a budget (i.e. no $900 R1C1 anytime soon), so some of these DIY solutions look neat and creative and workable. However, I'm also concerned with field portability and convenience. I'm an ecologist, and I often carry my camera in a lowepro fanny pack, snapping opportunistically. I've considered using a reflector when possible, but those don't seem so portable.<br>

<br /> Any suggestions for a decent macro flash setup in my circumstances?<br>

<br /> Thanks,<br /> Allie</p>

<p>I use the R1C1; but keep reading. You can just buy its key components: one SB R200 flash; a bracket that you might already have to get the flash above and to the right or to the left of your subject; and some way to trigger the flash wirelessly. That could be a commander unit like the SU-800 or the pop up flash on your camera. (I am assuming it has one and can be used in commander mode.)<br>

You can buy the ring that mounts to your 105mm macro lens and then mount the flash to the ring. Then attach the flash to the ring. Set the flash to Manual at 1/8 power and trigger it somehow and you are done. Focus the lens manually.</p>

<p>What Joseph said, except:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>That could be a commander unit like the SU-800 or the pop up flash on your camera. (I am assuming it has one and can be used in commander mode.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, the pop up flash on the D5100 cannot act as the commander for the R200 flash. To control the R200, you would need the SU-800.</p>

<p>Are there any SU-800 knockoffs?</p>

<p>I don't know of any SU-800 clones, and doubt that one exists. The market for the SU-800 is limited. The unit is only necessary for relatively expensive bodies, such as the D5100, D5200 and below, whose buyers are less likely to control off camera flashes, and for top of the line boies such as the D3, D3s and D4, which don't have a pop-up flash. SU-800 prices have come down somewhat, and you might be able to find one used. Since they don't have flash tubes whose condition is difficult to evaluate, there is probably less risk in buying an SU-800 used than a flash unit.</p>

<p>For a cheaper alternative, you could control the flash manually, and connect through a sync kit such as described <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-pc-cords-and-pocket.html">here</a>. It is most practical if you are planning to only use a single external flash. The other possibility is to upgrade your D5100 to a D90, D7000 or D7100, which can act as flash commanders, if you happen to be planning to do that.</p>

<p>This link shows some pictures of how Robert O'Toole uses a single Sb-R200 with his macro lenses. It should give you some ideas. Unfortunately I think you will need to buy the SU-800 to trigger the SB-R 200. he uses manual mode a lot. I just use iTTL but the manual approach he describes makes sense so use it if you understand it.<br>

<a href="http://www.robertotoole.com/category/macro/">http://www.robertotoole.com/category/macro/</a></p>

<p>Joe Smith</p>

<p>This probably will not fit your needs, but whenever this subject comes up, I post my macro setup just to give people ideas. I have a Tamron 60mm f/2, D300s that I've used in commander mode, but recently got an SU-800. The flash units are infinitely adjustable on the mini ball heads, and the quick release plates makes it easy to remove the entire setup from a tripod, or just the camera from the bracket.</p><div>00c09v-542544684.jpg.b431e31ec8a833a7025180277ef562ed.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for the great ideas, everyone. Nice idea to block off a portion of the ring flash! Hadn't thought of that.</p>

<p>I think my best bet will be to follow in the footsteps of Robert O'Toole and try to get an sb200 + su800 setup. I'll keep my eyes on CL. Too bad my camera doesn't have the built in commander mode. Anyone know which is the first model up from the D5100 that has the commander mode? Heading down to Peru - might consider selling my body before coming back and then upgrading.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are there any SU-800 knockoffs?<br>

I don't know of any SU-800 clones, and doubt that one exists. The market for the SU-800 is limited. The unit is only necessary for relatively expensive bodies, such as the D5100, D5200 and below, whose buyers are less likely to control off camera flashes, and for top of the line boies such as the D3, D3s and D4, which don't have a pop-up flash. SU-800 prices have come down somewhat, and you might be able to find one used. Since they don't have flash tubes whose condition is difficult to evaluate, there is probably less risk in buying an SU-800 used than a flash unit.<br>

For a cheaper alternative, you could control the flash manually, and connect through a sync kit such as described <a href="http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-pc-cords-and-pocket.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">here</a>. It is most practical if you are planning to only use a single external flash. The other possibility is to upgrade your D5100 to a D90, D7000 or D7100, which can act as flash commanders, if you happen to be planning to do that.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It does seem there are SU-800 knockoffs after all. A quick search on EB came up with a number of them: http://is.gd/IpH134 . The Yongnuo YN-622N goes for less than $50, but it's not compatible with the SB-R200. The Debao SU-800 goes for $100, and is compatible. There are SB-R200 knockoffs too, but I wouldn't be as comfortable going that route. Thoughts?</p>

<p>I'll look into manually-controlling a flash, too. Can you do that with the SB-R200?</p>

• 2 weeks later...