"Finger grip" on A-series cameras

w_t1

It's been a while since I've owned an A-series camera, right now use

the EF, F1, T-90, so I don't have one to handle.

Exactly what is the "finger grip", is it the bump out on the battery

door, or is it separate from the battery door? I ask because KEH

lists A-1, AE1 prog, etc. as "without finger grip", and are priced

less than similar ratings as those not listing this anomaly. I

assume it only has impact on the ergonomics of the camera. I assume

this is a term KEH is using, because I found nothing called "finger

grip" on my nice guide to the FD system book.

Even though I buy from KEH frequently, I wish they would put pics of

the exact camera that is for sale, instead of a stock photo. They do

that on their equipment they list on ebay. (kehoutlet) I've never

had them answer email about an item, but I do appreciate their return

policy, which I have used.

thanks Tom in Seattle

The finger grip was a screw-on attachement that covered the battery door. It provided about 3/8 inch of purchase for the fingertips in the same location as the battery-filled grips of modern SLRs.

While it did do a bit as a grip, IMO the most important benefit was that it armored the battery door, which was rather easily broken on the A-series cameras.

I think Canon called that the "action grip". I've got one for my A-1 and it is kinda nice, gives a firmer grip when handheld and provides a way to even hold in a broken batter door if neccesary. Bought mine out of the dollar junk box at Forresters camera repair in Salt Lake City and at that price it was definately worth it.

Here is what the finger grip (or Action Grip in Canon lingo) looks like. I believe the AE1 DID NOT have the facility for one (mine does not) the AE1Program and the A1 (closely related cameras) do have it. Its a comfy way to holf a camera, and from what I understand it is removeable to facilitate the motor drive which replaces the grip with one of its own when attached. If the savings are there, I would not hesitate to buy a camera without one, as it does not impact the perfomance in any way, and you may be able to scrounge one from another Canon FD user, or a parts bin at a photo store.. well, you get the point.

Yep I wrote to soon the AE-1 AT-1 and AV-1 do NOT have the action grip. The AV-1 has a smaller built in type grip simular in function the AE-1 and At-1 just have the little ridge along the edge of the battery door. The AL-1 has a grip that is created from the AA batteries it operates on.

The only to A series Cameras to have the Auction grip is the AE-1P and A-1

Also the only to that will use the Motor Drive MD.

IINM, Canon called it a "sport grip" or maybe "action grip" is correct. It does give you a little better hold on the camera. Best of all, it keeps the battery door closed after the stupid latch breaks off like most seem to eventually do...

for the responses, and the pics Peter. Yes, I saw the "action grip" in my Canon handbook, and on closer examination, KEH's photos, when they have them, show the body with and without action grips...

I was reading my copy of "How to Select and Use Canon SLRs" by Carl Shipman (1979) last night, for the 100th time, wondering if anyone around still uses a Film Chamber 250 on the F1? Would probably give some of the d*gital crowd a coronary if you showed up with one of those with a motor drive and servo ee finder...

Well the digital crowd is still in such a stage of infancy that anything and everything gives them apoplexy. They'll calm down when they stop feeling they have so much to prove, and I predict, pixelography and photography will peacefully co-exist remember, photography was supposed to kill painting...). And I'll still have a new sensor in my camera for every shot:)