Film from BHphoto

I think B&H is interested enough in the satisfaction of their customers that they would not ship film by mail to places it would be routinely damaged. Have it insured and go ahead.

More realistically, the shipping services cannot afford to pay people to watch x-rays of every package.

The only reports one sees on photo.net of film damaged by X-rays is checked baggage on airplanes, which is certain film destruction.

What you do need to worry about is the VAT tax man, collected cheerfully by the local Post -- you might not save any money in the end. Remember that B&H's cheapest film is bought wholesale outside the US and shipped back to B&H. The manufacturers sell the film for lower wholesale prices in countries with high VAT prices, and B&H takes advantage of this by grey-market importing it back to the USA.

I'm not considering this to be a replacement for my regular film shopping (which is cheaper than ordering from US, yes), but I just wanted to know wheather it is an option or not.

Also the demand here is pretty low for pro film, since most pros switched to digital, and this is a small country (Croatia) so sometimes they don't have all emulsions in stock. Last time I called they didn't have E100G in stock, which is pretty much bread and butter. They usually sell every Kodak emulsion there is, even the older ones, it's just that it's sort of gambling wheather they have it this right now or not.

So I thought, when I'm buying something from BH I could squeese a bunch of rolls in the package. You know as a backup, so I don't have to wait for these guys to get what I want.

Edgar, why don't you contact B&H and ask them about this issue? I'm sure they would be more than willing to help. As for myself, I have considered the same matter myself (ordering to Bangkok) but I changed my mind as I am 99.99% sure the packages are heavily X-rayed.

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

But we 're talking about parcels from Europe to the USA which are sent by regular mail for a relative low cost price. Incomming parcels to the USA are 95% X-rayed due to 9/11 I think.

'DO NOT X-RAY, contains unexposed photographic materials': does not help is our experience. Low speed films (iso 25-100) are normally not affected.

The other direction we have no experience but I am sure there is a regular check with X-Ray on also incomming parcels and if you have ordered e.g. NPZ 800 film, I can tell you they will be fogged when they are exposed to this type of X-ray.

TPG-Post (so also our Fotohuis) can NOT guarantee an X-Ray free parcel to the USA!

Best regards,

Robert