been in for years.

<p>

<a href=http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/09/18/daily59.html>

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/09/18/daily59.html </a>

<p>

I relocated from the Boston area several years ago. Does anyone have any more

info about this?

• 4 weeks later...

They closed forever on Friday, October 13, 2006. Liquidation auction is Thursday, October 26, 2006.

I wonder what "shopping mall" chain store will replace them after the building is renovated. At least I'm grateful that Abercrombie & Fitch lost their shirt in Harvard Square -- college students around here aren't such pack followers.

But now that most stores in Harvard Square are leasing at "market rates", it's just becoming another shopping mall. For many years much of the retail space belonged to a "little old lady" who rented it far below market rates. That's what made it interesting.

C'mon guys - is it really that sad?

I, for one, am not going to wax nostalgic about these guys. The help was rude, showed no evidence of knowledge about the wares they were ostensibly trying to sell, and their handling/processing of film was appalling.

They were way overpriced, too. I recently saw that they were trying to sell a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8 that was barely in 8 condition for a higher price than I could buy it new from Badger Grahphic.

Outside of their retro-looking store-front these guys really had nothing to offer. F-D were nothing more than the shady Times Square camera shop in the Boston idiom with a hip location.

If Tony Ferranti decided that it wasn't worth it to try to relocate during the rehab, then I can only say that I agree.

What was Harvard Square pretty much moved to Central Square 10 or 15 years ago.

That said, it's also worth noting that most mega-stores located directly in the square pretty much have lost their shirt.

Look at what happened to Structure, HMV, and Tower. They had their heads handed to them. Not even Starbucks locates themselves directly in the square - they're located several blocks north. It's sort of illuminating to walk around there and realize just how much retail space isn't occupied right now