FD to EOS adapter

gary_meader

<p>I've searched a bit, but can't find what I'm looking for. I know Canon doesn't make an adapter that would allow me to use my FD lenses in manual focus mode on my 5D. But I do see off-brand adapters here and there. They're inexpensive, which worries me, but I was wondering if any of you have had experience with such an adapter. And if so, how are they? Thanks</p>

<p>Canon did make an adaptor but it was designed for L series Teles (300 f2.8 and bigger) it is very rare and thus very expensive. There are many off brand adaptors but I understand all are very poor (mine is). For Macro I understand you can get away with a glassless adaptor but I have not used one. Other than that all have glass in the adaptor (which gives the quality issues) and also a magnification factor of about 1.26. The issue is the flange to film depth of Fd is 42mm while EF is 44mm. Because no one can make a 2mm thick adaptor they have to use a lens to give infinity focus. If you still want one I know Jinfinance and Fotodiox make them.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly someone posted images from them some time ago. A better bet for FD lenses is the Micro 4/3 bodies - I use a G1 and it works very well. Here is a crop from a shot taken with the 85 f1.2 at F1.2 (on the M4/3 this is effectively a 170 f1.2 lens).</p><div>00Wnpn-257097584.thumb.jpg.367b16cf83fa431e65b5a5e436555574.jpg</div>

<p>The better (a relative term) FD>EOS adapters allow the minus lens to be removed, thus making a nice clear, no optics path between lens and "film" plane. Of course, without the lens the adapter acts like a short extension tube and the lens can only be used for closeup work, no focus to infinity.</p>

<p>Philip - Yes, it's a shame that a +2mm adapter won't do the job! Although it sounds thin, it would be easy to make. The Pentax adapter is only +1.5mm thick for example.</p>

<p>Lensless adapters for macro work are fine, and some long telephotos can also be used with lensless adapters and will still focus out top a reasonable distance (I think I measured something like 50ft for a 500/8 mirror lens). However with most wideangle, normal and short telephoto lenses maximum focus will range from a few inches to a few feet.</p>

<p>Given the price of FD to EOS adapters (around $30), it's not a bad investment if you have a whole bag full of FD lenses. Just don't expect very good results unless you stop way down.</p>

<p>Bob - I have a bagful of FD lenses but I use them on FD bodies or Micro 4/3, I am not happy with the adaptors. I have just purchased the Mirex Tilt Shift adaptor that allows Mamiya M645 lenses to be mounted on EOS. This crams 10 degree tilt and 15mm shift into 19.8mm. As soon as it arrives I will post some results.</p>

<p>I posted a contribution to using FD lenses on EOS cameras in the same thread:<br /> <a href="../canon-fd-camera-forum/00WLCD">http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00WLCD</a> page 3<br /> I've changed the FL/FD mount for EF mounts on 3 lenses, viz. newFD50L, newFD85L & FL-F300 Fluorite.<br /> There are photos in the referred thread.<br /> Ross Becker<br /> New Zealand</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>hey guys. I from Hong Kong & used to sell FD gears for business. I spotted the problem that all fd-ef non-glassed adapters on the market are so thick (from 10-5mm), which makes the lens becoming so short-sighted. So I decided to build a 1mm adapter & its coming to be a sucess. 300/4 & 300/2.8L could focus on 24 & 28m objects, and 500/8 & 500/4.5L could even focus to 100 & 160m. That doesn't reach infinity focus but a decent, practical distance already. I've made 50 of them and i received 8 order already at the first day.<br>

Although you may not know chinese, just take a look at the picture.<br>

<a href="http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=939411&page=1&extra">http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=939411&page=1&extra</a>=</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=14630">Bob Atkins</a>- I hope your 500/8 is a geniune canon FD500/8 (both nFD & SSC ver). There's 2 silver screws underneath the rubber cover (sorry, is it a correct way to call it?) of focus ring. The lens uses these 2 screws to limit the rotation of the focus ring, 1 for closest focus & another 1 for infinity focus. Unscrew the infinity one, then enjoy your FD 500/8 on EOS with infinity focus. Just remember not to unscrew the 1 for closest focus. If there's no stopping for closest focus, you will get the whole lens detached.</p>