F3, FE2, FM2, FM3a

BeBu Lamar

1. FM2(n)

2. FM3a(never owned one, so speculating)

3. FE2

4. F3

As for why the FM2 over the FM3a or FE2-I like the little LEDs in the viewfinder :) . In all seriousness, the metering scale in the FE and FE2(and presumably the FM3a, which looks mostly the same from the drawings/photos) intrudes on the image area and also requires backlighting from the scene to be able to see it. If I'm going to deal with that kind of meter read out, I'll use the EL2.

Similarly, the little bitty LCD in the top left of the F3 is small and squinty, and if there's not enough ambient light you have to awkwardly reach around the prism to activate the illuminator.

The FM2, along with the FM, F2AS, F2SB, and F2s have LEDs that are easy to read in any light.

Of the four mentioned, I used the FM2 (and the FM) and the F3. I still own the latter and have long since disposed of the former. Aside from using flash and not having access to the rarely needed 1/4000s, I would always take the F3 over the FM2. No longer matters though as I don't shoot film anymore.

I prefer the Z7.

I would too - but it wasn't in the list ;)

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

On the list, the only model I have ever owned was the FE2. I started with a Nikkormat FT-3 in 1977 (beginning of AI), followed by an FE in 1978. I still own that FE today only because it was my very first Nikon body (not counting the Nikkormat). The F3 was a $600+ camera when I was in graduate school, and a fellow student had one because he had a real, full-time job. I looked at it with envy, but that would have cost almost a month of pay back then. When I had my first real job, I quickly bought an FE2, which has a much faster flash sync speed than the F3. But I soon got into AF and never bought another manual-focus body again.

I also don't shoot film any more. Maybe in a few years I won't use SLRs any more.

Same reason I used an FE and then FE2 instead of F3 back in the 1980’s, although I am never crazy about the flash sync speed on the F3.

I prefer to drive a Mercedes too but have cars from Honda, since the 1980’s.

I don't think the price different is too big. The Z6 isn't going to replace your D500 for the birds but for others like the concert stuff I think the Z7 would be significantly better than the Z6.

My choice would be

1. F3

2. FE2 and FM2 they are even

3. FM3a

- A bit random!

What exactly is the point of this thread 'rating' old Nikons? Surely everything that's worth saying about them has already been said, many times and many years ago.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure my F2A would beat any of the above in a game of conkers.

Make mine an F2AS, thanks.

That way I get the same general type of meter read-out I love on the FM/FM2 but in an indestructible F2 body.

The F2AS was my first camera. I bought it in 77. I like it a lot but and although I didn't like the F3 as much when I bought it. Now I like the F3 much better.

• Like 1

Make mine an F2AS, thanks.

That way I get the same general type of meter read-out I love on the FM/FM2 but in an indestructible F2 body.

I bought one a year ago and like it a lot. I also like my FM2n collection. However, the F6 has features like built in spot meter that make it useful.

I like the F3 well enough, except for its squinty readout. But I've always been a fan of match-needle metering, so I find I still prefer the FE and FE2 -- and the old Nikon EL2 -- for their easy to use match-needle meter displays. Yes, they may not be as easy to use in dim light, but I've usually got a dedicated flash mounted in that case, and it's taken over the metering. The only other concern is focus, and if worse comes to worst, I can use the lens's hyperfocal settings to insure proper focus.

I just thought of some other stuff.

One reason why I do like the F3 is its metering pattern. It's 80/20, compared to Nikon's tried and true 60/40. I think the reason for the tighter pattern is so that slide shooters would get more accurate exposures. Specifically when shooting in Aperture priority. I can recall at an event deciding to take a gamble and set my F3 on "A". The camera was loaded with ISO 100 slide film. I was very curious about how many shots would come out incorrectly exposed. Well, I was very surprised when I got my slides back. Not a single one was improperly exposed. I was impressed. So much so that pretty much from that day forward, I began to use my F3 in "A" mode at outdoor events.

The FE/FE2/FM/FM2/FM3a all use Nikon's 60/40 pattern, which, while very good, is not as precise as the F3's 80/20 pattern.

I've never even handled an FM3a -- just read about it in the forums. It sounds to me like an FE2 with a mechanical shutter. Yes? I prefer the FE and FE2 over most all Nikons. I like the match-needle metering they provide and they just feel good in my hand. Maybe I'll like the FM3a even more -- once its prices have come down to Earth. Although I'll admit, the F3 feels better. Too bad its meter readout sucks so bad.

Another thing is motor drives. The MD4 for the F3 is really hard to beat. These days they can be found for very reasonable prices. To me, an F3 isn't complete unless it has an MD4. I feel almost the same way about the FE/FE2/FM/FM2/ -- and the FM3a? I know all the others take the MD12, but I dunno if the FM3a does as well. But about the MD12 -- it's a cute little unit that adds a bit of ergo comfort to the above cameras and provides a snappy 3.5 frames per second of wind-on capability. MD12s can be had for very reasonable prices these days.

Edited by mwmcbroom
  • Like 1

For taking pictures.

Oh. Definitely none of the above, then. I'm mildly interested in the F3 and FM3a for messing around with, although I'm not actually willing to pay for them. Practical photography, I have an F5 that as far as I know works fine, and "as far as I know" tells you how much film I shoot these days. (My 645 got used slightly more recently - 135 isn't all that appealing to me any more. 5x4 maybe...)

Oh. Definitely none of the above, then. I'm mildly interested in the F3 and FM3a for messing around with, although I'm not actually willing to pay for them. Practical photography, I have an F5 that as far as I know works fine, and "as far as I know" tells you how much film I shoot these days. (My 645 got used slightly more recently - 135 isn't all that appealing to me any more. 5x4 maybe...)

They arre cheaper than a Z7! But I am disappointed that you didn't get the Z7. Nikon mirrorless is doomed then. I wait 5 more months and if you still don't have a Z then I know Nikon mirrorless is doomed for sure.

They arre cheaper than a Z7! But I am disappointed that you didn't get the Z7. Nikon mirrorless is doomed then. I wait 5 more months and if you still don't have a Z then I know Nikon mirrorless is doomed for sure.

Well, I have a 1 V1. So Nikon mirrorless is secure, and obviously cx is the future. But if you'd like to play Santa, BeBu...

More seriously, tiny buffer, limited AF tracking, no metering or mechanical shutter above 5.5fps, worse battery life, one slot, no memory banks, no 14-bit 9fps, mild banding, heavier than a Df with the FTZ... There are advantages too, but it's no slam dunk, especially pending the roll out of new lenses. Give it a generation or two, especially since I don't own a 4k TV to view the video on.

Oddly mirrorless film cameras are more appealing at the moment!

Well, I have a 1 V1. So Nikon mirrorless is secure, and obviously cx is the future. But if you'd like to play Santa, BeBu...

More seriously, tiny buffer, limited AF tracking, no metering or mechanical shutter above 5.5fps, worse battery life, one slot, no memory banks, no 14-bit 9fps, mild banding, heavier than a Df with the FTZ... There are advantages too, but it's no slam dunk, especially pending the roll out of new lenses. Give it a generation or two, especially since I don't own a 4k TV to view the video on.

Oddly mirrorless film cameras are more appealing at the moment!

No 4K TV??? Wow I thought you're ready for 8K

More seriously, tiny buffer, limited AF tracking, no metering or mechanical shutter above 5.5fps, worse battery life, one slot, no memory banks, no 14-bit 9fps, mild banding, heavier than a Df with the FTZ... There are advantages too

Andrew, don't hold back yet - tell us what you really think;)

Advantages I see (comparing Z7 to D850) are a) bigger viewfinder magnification (0.8x vs 0.75x), b) IBIS, and c) video (though I'd rather have the Z6 than the Z7 for that - if I was interested in video that is). If the three lenses currently are an indication of things to come, then optical quality will have to be added to the plus side for Nikon FX mirrorless as well; the three lenses available right now don't tempt me enough to part with a substantial amount of cash.