stephen_schumacher

My car was rear ended a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately the

point of impact was my camera bag with my F100. I had one of the new

24-85 "G" series lenses mounted on it. I ran a roll of film thru the

camera an it looks ok to me, but since the other guy's insurance

company is responcible for damages I figure I should have the body

and lense both checked out. I have heard a lot of tales of the

ruggedness of Nikon products, so I would anticipate the F100 coming

out unscathed. I'm more worried about the lens.

What tests would be reasonable to perform or to insist on at a repair

center?

Steve

Shutter accuracy, from one end of the scale to the other; focusing accuracy; film/lens mount flatness; electronics like metering accuracy. Use slide film so there�s no extra generation (and unwanted adjustment) of print film.

Test the shutter by using reciprocal exposures for as much of the scale as you have apertures on a lens, then change the light level so you can test the rest (ex: f/1.4 at 1/2000 down to f/22 at 1/8, then move to the shadows, re-meter, and test the rest of the slow speeds).

Place a yardstick pointing at the lens, and focus on 12 inches wide open. Note on the final slide if the focus is actually on this point.

Tape a sheet of newsprint flat to a mirror, shoot wide open, with the camera body square to the glass, to check the film plane for alignment.

Check the meter against another one.

Stephen,

I would explain to them what happened and let them figure out the rest, they will probably do a full function check and an allignment check of the mount/shutter/lens elements or whatever. This way youll have some guarantee to future 'hidden' damages. In other words, dont tell them what to check, they are the experts and should know what to check....

Greetings,

Make surea collimation test is done on the lens. if the results are less than

perfect, the guys insurance company should pay for a new lens.<P>If I were

you I'd send the lens and camera offto Niko to get checked out and have the

other guy's insurance company pay for a rental set up for you while your

camera set is gone. They might not go for it , but it never hurts to ask.

<<since the other guy's insurance company is responcible for damages I figure I should have the body and lense both checked out. >>

If the camera and lens don't show external signs of damage, the other guy's insurance company might balk at reimbursing you for examination or repair. If you were an underwriter, wouldn't you want some assurance that any expenses are related to the accident? Not sure what form such assurance could take.

But I do hope the incident doesn't leave you with a malfunctioning camera, and certainly in a perfect world you'd be entitled to reimbursement for costs to restore the proverbial status quo ante.

Good luck,