equipment insurance 2

piggy backing off of the previous thread.

I have MAYBE $1800 worth of gear but would still like the peace of mind of

knowing if anything happens I'm safe.

I looked at a couple of insurance companies a few months ago when it got the new

camera, but none would cover it from theft or damage outside the home.

I can't afford $500 a year - at that rate i might as well buy a new camera in 3

years anyway!

Are there any other alternatives?

Do not believe anything an agent tells you until after you confirm it by reading your contract. Most home owner's policies will not cover more than $500 in camera equipment, mine only covers $200.

What you probably need is an inland marine policy. I pay less than $100 per year per $5000 covered as non-professional and less than $30 a year per $1000 covered.

I suggest you go sit with an agent and discuss your options.

You can buy a rider or addendum to your home owners policy that will specifically cover

photography gear, computer gear, etc. I have USAA, and $12,000 worth of coverage with a

$100 deductible is $53/year. The only things not covered in this are acts of war, rodent and

vermin destruction, normal wear and tear, and incineration from a nuclear source. (Seriously.)

Discuss this with your agent, and be very specific on what you want covered and the item(s)

usage and purpose.

A rider (or in the insurance lingo, scheduling) is usually the way to go for non-professionals. An alternative may be to go with a HO3 (or better) policy with replacement cost endorsements and bump up the values on the unscheduled personal property. As already stated, read the policy!