<p>Hi.<br>

My question about the scanning time change. I bought Epson v600 more than year ago and scan 6x6 B&W negatives in to TIFF file. The settings are:<br>

Professional Mode / Film / 16-bit gray scale / 6400 dpi / no post-scan processing except Low Unsharp Mask. The size of scanning file was 470 Mb and scan lasted ~34 min. Than after several months the scan time has changed to ~5 min. The file size became 360 Mb. Now when I start to scan the progress window displays the scan time 34 min and than quickly drops to 4 min and the real scanning time is ~5 min. <br>

The answer from Epson was unhelpful: </p>

"I do not know what may have changed, but the current scan time of 4 minutes is correct. I tested here on an old Dell computer running Windows 7/64.

Epson Scan settings were: Professional mode/film/B&W negative/16 bit grayscale/6400 DPI/Unsharp Mask set to low/preview (normal)/manual marquee of 2.17 x 2.19", file size = 371.89/ 13876 x 14044 pixels. Start scan time (approximate) scan time of 34 minutes actual scan times of just over 5 minutes and 4.43 (two test scans after opening Epson Scan) and another scan time of 4.30 by just clicking the scan button without restarting Epson Scan or doing another preview."

Any thought about such drastic change?<br />

Cheers.<br />

<p> <br>

</p>

"... Our perception of the world is a fantasy that coincides with reality."

Chris Frith.

<p>Click on the folder icon next to the scan button which opens the save location window. Next click on the "Options" button to the right of the file type box. In the Tiff options window check the byte order and in the "compression" section select "none". Is the Embed ICC profile box checked and or was it checked before?</p>

<p>Unknown as I have never had an issue with scan time. I'm not doing much scanning these days and do not pay attention to the projected time. I have never unchecked the embed profile and it should not affect scan time but may affect file size by a few bits.<br>

I suspect that Pavel has an OS issue causing the differences. Good basic computer maintenance with the built in tools or some of the registry cleaning freeware for Windows cures or prevents such failures. </p>

<p>Thank you Alan, Charles for quick response.<br>

ICE was off since I started scanning and I only use Low Unsharp Mask for processing. In the Tiff options window "compression" is "none", ICC Embedding/Non embedding does not make any difference.<br>

I uninstall Epson application after shortening the scan time and manually clean up the registry as much as I could. I do not see how the clogged OS could decrease the scanning time. <br>

Cheers.</p>

Chris Frith.

<p>Advanced System Care http://www.iobit.com/en/advancedsystemcarefree.php and CCleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download are two top rated and safe freeware programs whose paid versions do more than the basic. Windows built in disk cleanup tool and derangement tool improve overall system performance. As Windows is updated it also builds up unneeded files and causes problems. The less obsolete files and registry entries the OS has to search through the better. I notice hiccups occasionally with some programs after a Windows update. The biggest annoyance is background task such as virus scan, performance task and program auto updates starting while I'm editing in Photoshop or scanning. I frequently disconnect the internet when scanning or editing. I have set most programs auto task to OFF but there are some background services that I can"t turn off except to disconnect the internet connection.</p>

<p>Also check for updates to Epson scan.</p>

<p>I run Win 10 in a local account and am signed out of the Microsoft account. Windows only has Disk Cleanup and Optimize Drives tools that I am aware of.<br>

Open Windows Explorer and right click on the drive you wish to clean up, select Properties, on the General tab click on the Disk Cleanup box in the capacity section. Select the Tools tab of the Properties box to access Scandisk and Optimize, formerly called disk defragmenter.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for your thoughts. I'm getting a little confused about direction of this conversation. I do not think that defragmentation/cleanup has something to do with increase of speed of scanning x7. Besides the fact that I run my system on SSD that do not use the windows defragmenter.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

Chris Frith.

<p>I have a V500 on a Dell Inspiron running Win 10 64 bit. I set Epsonscan to the settings you listed in your first post. I applied the marquee to one frame and got these reported results:<br>

2.14 wide X 2.24 high; 13687 pixels x 14341 pixels; 374.38mb.<br>

Pressing the scan button the initial time displayed in the scan progress box was 34 minutes, then dropped 18 minutes then to 16 minutes as the scan progressed. The scan bar returned to the home position and the time decreased as it reported completing the file. Total elapsed scan time 4 to 4 1/2 minutes.<br>

Size of file on disk 374mb.</p>

<p>I disregard the estimated scan time displayed in the scan window as it is only a software guess.</p><div>00e3kB-564432684.jpg.3159c2faf16cabaf60f63a9fcfbc8a35.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Pressing the scan button the initial time displayed in the scan progress box was 34 minutes, then dropped 18 minutes then to 16 minutes as the scan progressed. The scan bar returned to the home position and the time decreased as it reported completing the file. Total elapsed scan time 4 to 4 1/2 minutes</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Charles: I don't understand. How did 34+18+16 minutes = 4 1/2 minutes?</p>

<p>Alan</p>

<p>I think that Epsonscan is using a built in Windows timing subroutine as I get a very similar timing scale when moving folders or copying large files. The estimated time is all over the place. </p>

<p>Alan, at the start of the scan the progress box shows 34 minutes, after it progresses 5% the estimated time changes to 18 minutes then after another 3% to 4% progression it changed to 16 minutes. I looked at the no second reading digital readout clock and noted the time when I pressed the Scan button then noted the clock display when the scan ended.</p>