Epson p900 for B+W

I returned my new refurbished p800. I recently purchased the p800 as my replacement printer (for converting to piezography) but ended up sending it back. The only Epson option now is the 900. But it is still on backorder... indefinitely. I know that the 900 may never be piezography capable. Which would be disappointing. I am curious if anyone here got one before they ran out...? If so I would love to hear what you think, in particular for b+w printing.

n e y e

If so I would love to hear what you think, in particular for b+w printing.

KISS: get the best of both worlds, using inks made for the printer and still get (if so desired) dead nuts neutral B&W: use Epson's Advanced B&W print mode. Or Color!

You could have with the P800 of course.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

The only Epson option now is the 900. But it is still on backorder... indefinitely.

Keep waiting if that statement is accurate.... :p

I know that the 900 may never be piezography capable

Keep waiting if that statement is accurate.... :p

As I said, you can get the best of both worlds, using inks made for the printer and still get (if so desired) dead nuts neutral B&W: use Epson's Advanced B&W print mode. Or Color! You could have with the P800 of course.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I don't engage conspiracy theories.

I do the same. Now do you have any actual experience in making B&W prints on the Epson line of pro printers you can post here or, you're just working on being off topic?As a reminder, the question and topic:

"If so I would love to hear what you think, in particular for b+w printing."

I spoke today with one of the PMs for this Epson line. The problem in backorders is due to Covid-19; this should be less an issue in the near future (near is subjective and unspecified and even if I were given a specific date, I can't share it).

Backorder... indefinitely? No.

Andrew, I believe are goals are not aligned but I don't find that the obstacle to appreciating your input. As a BW photographer with a strong preference for piezography prints I don't prioritize simplicity or dead nuts neutral B&W or having the best of 2 worlds. I have read and watched much of the info you have provided elsewhere. Happy to see it presented without the attitude. Genuinely Very helpful (profiles, calibrating... etc) technical info for those who want to use a non piezography setup for color and BW. If I get the p900 the info will be a valuable resource... while i keep my fingers crossed for a conversion.

btw; actually, x2 connected questions. specifically re the P900, or 700 since it is the same smaller version printer & inkset,

I am curious if anyone here got one before they ran out...? If so I would love to hear what you think, in particular for b+w printing.

Just today I got notice that the P700s are back in stock. not the 900. Still vague!

n e y e

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Perhaps for who that hasn't spoken already!

Unlike you? Speaking for others (the OP) good luck.

As mentioned months ago: Now do you have any actual experience in making B&W prints on the Epson line of pro printers you can post here? Seems not. But I have an open mind when you wish to get on the topic asked and post actual experiences with this line of printers.

As for those here with decades of this experience, there's this: Epson Print Academy - New Dates - John Paul Caponigro

Glad to hear, as someone here previously stated accurately: the P900 isn't on backorder... indefinitely, and the OPs is on the way.

Edited by digitaldog