EOS 600D Software Problem.

keith_tapscott

<p>I bought a Canon EOS 600D camera this week, but after installing the software, registering and restarting my iMac, the software gives me a message which says <strong>'Alert' <em>"Cannot be used with this version of the operating system."</em></strong></p>

<p>I upgraded recently from Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 to Lion 10.7 if that helps anyone to answer my question.<br>

I am guessing that the driver is not compatible with Lion.</p>

<p>The new Lion OS does not support older software that still was basically written for the PPC chip computers of some years ago. Apple has been warning of this for a long time, so I find the failure of software people to have upgraded their programs before this to be disturbing.<br>

The icon for such programs will normally display with a slash bar through it.</p>

<p><br /> There is a version of DPP that runs under Lion; and for downloading from a card or camera, there are capabilities to do that in Adobe Bridge, if you have it.<br>

You might look at Canon support and see if they have an update yet. I found when I upgraded that there is a strong argument for doing this in Bridge anyhow, once I tried it.</p>

<p>This problem does not begin nor end with Canon. Microsoft Office 2004 won't run and there are many others such as Omniscan. etc.</p>

<p><em>Thanks JDM. I contacted Canon technical support about this and just received this reply.</em><br>

<em>I am disappointed that the required drivers and software isn't available already. I will just have to wait and see. </em>:-(</p>

<p>Dear Mr. Tapscott, <br /><br />Thank you for contacting Canon Support.<br /><br />Kindly be advised Canon is aware of the new operating system release and is currently working on drivers and software for the products that will be compatible with the new 10.7 OS.<br /><br />At this time, we cannot confirm there will be drivers/software available for your product.<br /><br />We can only advise you to keep checking the software download center at the link below, for the release. We have been informed all drivers/software will be available by October, 2011.<br /><br />http://software.canon-europe.com/<br /><br />Thank you again for contacting Canon Support.<br /><br /><br />Should you have any further queries with regards to this matter or wish to reply to this e-mail within the next 5 days, please click on this link.<br /><br />Yours sincerely,<br /><br /><br /><br />(Name given by the sender)<br />Canon Consumer Support</p>

<p>Keith,<br>

sorry to hear you’re having these troubles with your new camera.<br>

On a side note I’ve always found Canon’s DPP to be a rather atrocious piece of software and clunky to work with. Would you consider purchasing a different application?</p>

<p>I’ve been a <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/">Lightroom</a> user from the early days and couldn’t be happier. It’s a well-rounded application targeted at the serious photographer. Since you’re on a Mac you might also want to take a look at <a href="http://www.apple.com/aperture/">Aperture</a>, which is different from Lightroom, but equally powerful. Both applications have their pros and cons and both offer a complete workflow solution for image cataloging, developing, printing, presentation and web, which is a whole lot more than what DPP has to offer.<br>

Aperture is less pricey than Lightroom.</p>

<p>Hi Martin,</p>

<p>I don't have Apple Aperture, but I do have the latest version of iPhoto which is working fine with the 600D.<br /> Part of the appeal of the 600D was that it can also be used for movie clips which might be useful for the occasional family event.<br /> I haven't tried the movie mode on the camera yet, so I don't know if I can use the Apple iMovie software with my 600D. I hope I can.</p>

<p>Before attempting to video tape Important Family Events (tm!) with your 600D, I would invite you to practice, a lot, with it. :) A DSLR is not a drop-in replacement for a digital video camera. It is, no doubt, a very powerful tool, but it is a different way of shooting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Keith,<br>

iPhoto is a very fine application if you’re mostly dealing with JPEG images. If you’re taking images in RAW format, you will probably find iPhoto’s tools too simple.</p>

<p>I haven’t kept up with recent versions of iMovie, so I don’t know. I second Rob’s comment though: video with a DSLR is tricky, especially keeping things in focus.</p>

<p>I will give Canon the benefit of doubt due to Lion OSX being available just recently, but they need to get the new software/drivers out as soon as they can.</p>

<p>Luckily I can use the Apple iPhoto software for importing stills and video from my camera and the video does works with iMovie as I just found out.</p>

<p>I wonder how many other manufacturers software isn't yet compatible with Lion OSX?</p>

<p>Rob, I will only be doing the occasional short video for fun, nothing serious but should be OK for sites like YouTube. :-)</p>