Elegant Digital Prototype

minox_london

<p>That's one pretty camera and yep, I'd buy it in a heartbeat as well. I was disappointed that Minox didn't listen to user complaints and suggestions about their 60651 and come out with an upgraded version of it. What I get from most of the reviews and the couple of people I've talked to that have actually used it is that it would be perfect if a few problems that causes it to suddenly decide not to work were taken care of. I've also heard some purely good reports about it so would guess that it is as much a QC problem as anything else.</p>

In my opion that prototype is flawed. Too streamlineda such that there is no place for a minimum mode switch for

still,video and playback.

Further, a Minox spy camera must retain certain. Hallmark of original Water Zappa design, a milled dial switch is a

minimum, with. Minox style form factor. The prototype is too thin and too wide, it is more like a Sony than a Minox.

<p>I agree that it is not a Minox design, it may have design flaws that may make it not as user friendly. Having said that, new products have to take the old and embrace the new. This is personally a very elegant product design study taking the modern trends of cameras and phones and adding the twist of the classic Minox to it. They took the iconic camera size and maybe the even more iconic opening and closing mechanism of the camera. So iconic, all minox from the humble Riga ,A, B, C , BL, C, EC, to LX were featured with such a mechnism. I think, that this feature in its own right would have also lent the current Minox Digital camera line a flair of 8x11 nostalgia.</p>

<p>One cardinal principle of viewfinder camera design is to position the lens as close to the midpoint between two eyes, so the picture resembles human point of view.<br>

This is true of Leica rangefinders, true of all Minox 8x11, Minox 35, even Kodak 110 Instamatic etc.<br>

The so call sp1 when the camera held at eye level, the lens<br>

is clearly positioned to the far end of the "camera", violated this cardinal principle, hence it is a design failure.</p>No serious camera manufacture would ever produce such a "camera"

<p>Martin The SP1 is listed as a "concept" camera, that's what it is... a design concept not a finished product. Though it was inspired by the minox 8x11 cameras it doesn't appear to me that it is attempting to mimic them.<br>

<br /> The viewfinder is a LCD not a a Galilean finder so it's location well to the right of the lens really seems to be a rather non issue just as it is a non issue for the DSC's attached liquid crystal display being well to the left of the taking lens. :-)<br>

<br /> Lastly, I'm not a major camera case fan so on small cameras I like the idea of a sliding shell to cover the lens just as on larger cameras such as the Retina II or Super Ikonta III I like the hinged cover.</p>

<p>Rich L</p>

<p>Sorry, I mis-read part of your first post.<br>

For film cameras and digitals that are trying to replace a film model, the lens is indeed centered or near centered. A vast number of the pocketable cameras (my Samsung NV3 for instance) however have their lens' offset to the side. I personally do not find offset lens' objectionable from either an esthetically or user viewpoint.</p>

<p>In their words: "This concept study takes the iconic Minox form factor <em>as inspiration</em>. We wanted to create a sub-compact camera that targets the fashion-conscious consumer and encourages quick, discreet and stylish usage." (italics mine).<br>

That doesn't look to me as if Lovely&co is calling it a Minox or even implying that they have anything to do with the Minox company.</p>