EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake review

<p>Since Yakim seems to have taken a day off :), I'll post this link to the photozone's review of the 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/752-canon_40_28_ff . My impression based on the test is that the lens performs as well as or better than the 50mm f/1.4 photozone tested, which speaks well to the quality of the new lens. Perhaps it's the relatively advanced 4 group/6 lens construction together with the moderate maximum aperture. I'm happy to see a good, inexpensive, full-frame prime lens from Canon, something we haven't seen much of recently.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nice to see Canon finally realise that they are a toy maker, not just a tool maker for pros with bottomless wallets.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh, the pity of it.</p>

<p>This is the thanks Canon gets for giving us the "plastic fantastic," the "thrifty thirty-five," and now.... the "<strong>fabulous forty</strong>" - rejoice, ye of thin wallets and penny-pinching fingers, for Mother Canon cares. ;)</p>

<p>I came very close to ordering this lens. For $200, how wrong could you go?</p>

However, in the end, I said to myself that a 2.8 prime is simply not where I want to go right now. (I have a 50/1.8 and 24/2.8; with a few 4.0 zooms) My next lens is probably either a 35/2.0 (to replace a broken 35/2.0) or a telephoto (but I think I am hoarding cash instead for an eventual 7D-II!)

I have noodled the 24/1.4L strongly, but between the mountanous price tag. . and the fact that *perhaps* the future for quality primes are stepper motors. . . I am resisting the temptation.