Edwardian Photography

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I am doing some research and I am having a hard time trying to find the information I need regarding Edwardian photography. I wondered if anybody would be able to point me in the right direction regarding the following questions (apologies if this is the wrong forum)<br>

I need to know more about:<br>

How the role of cameras such as the Brownie camera affected the professional photographer's trade (if at all) now that photography was accessible to more people<br>

What class level were most professional photographers (about 1913/1914)? Would they normally be working class and was it still a 'profitable' trade by the time WW1 came?<br>

Which were the most popular camera, and equipment for portrait photographers, both in the studio and when working offsite?(circa 1913-14) What processing techniques were used and what kind of plates?<br>

I can find information about the early 1900s but finding it harder to find information about the social aspects and the techniques used just prior to WW1.</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>many thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Claire your reference to working class suggests (to me at least) that you are UK based. Might I suggest that you get in touch with De Montfort University, Leicester? They have a very active interest in photographic history and might be able to point you in the right direction.</p>

<p>And of course, Britain was not an "island" - at least in the sense of being isolated from events elsewhere at the time. Good general histories of photography in the late 19th and early 20th c are available.</p>

<p>Some of the changes you refer to are as much Victorian (late) as Edwardian.</p>

<p>I'd second Mike's advice regarding the National Media Museum in Bradford - very helpful people.<br>

You might also try the British Libraries on line catalogue - unless you can get to one of their reading rooms you won't be able to look at any books, but you may be able to find some titles/references/authors who you can then paper trail, perhaps to a local library resource.</p>

<p>Claire – some afterthoughts. Firstly, most historians take the view that the Edwardian age (regarded illogically as 1900 – 1914, although Edward VII reigned only 1901-1910) was a fairly seamless continuation of the Victorian era until brought to an abrupt end by the horrors of WWI. It is quite a tall order to draw distinctions between the beginning and end of this period. This for me is confirmed by a study of my small collection of contemporary photography books, such as the Ilford Manual of Photography, the Barnet Book of Photography (both 1898) and the British Journal of Photography Almanac (published every year since 1860, I have a copy for 1913). There were no radical steps forward in camera or film technology, the standard tool for professionals, particularly in the field, was the ½ plate camera (6.5x4 ¾ inch format). Upmarket portraitists, who made frequent use of negative retouching, would use 10x12 or even 12x15 (cf. Julia Margaret Cameron in the 1860s, who requested a “proper portrait camera” from her daughters as a birthday gift. Knowing nothing about photography, they asked a dealer for one and were given a 12x15).<br>

In terms of demographic profile, I would say this was much the same as now – mainly working/lower-middle class, earnings level generally low, a reasonable living could be made by hard work and diligence, now and again a superstar would make a fortune. Keen amateur photographers would have progressed beyond the Brownie (box) camera towards folding cameras taking either rollfilm (such as the 120 size we still have today, and many other larger sizes now obsolete) or ¼ plates (3 ¼x4¼ inches) or larger. These could not produce results to match professionals but generated demand for photofinishing services.<br>

Some possible sources of info:<br>

1) <a href="http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html">http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html</a><br>

Describes the type of plates in use in the Edwardian era – speed ratings generally between 5-8 and 20-25 ISO (the fastest plates would have been very grainy if enlarged).<br>

2) The work of Jacques-Henri Lartigue. JHL was in the rare and enviable position of being rich enough to photograph whatever he liked, but his work definitely communicates the spirit of the era.<br>

3) “My Way With The Miniature” by Lancelot Vining. LV began work as a press photographer in the 1890s, spent many years in a management role but then returned to active photography in the 1930s, driven by a fascination for Leicas and Contaxes. His recollections of his early days may be interesting for your purposes.<br>

4) The British Journal of Photography Almanac as mentioned above. The size of this book reflects the state of the market – as the 1913 edition ran to 1450 pages, twice the normal size, we may conclude that things were going well!<br>

The experts mentioned in previous postings will have access to far more material than me, but if I can help with what I have in my personal library, feel free to ask further specific questions.</p>